Meerschaum Spigot Inquiry

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I was looking to add a meerschaum to my spigot collection, but as I search through the selections, I find that I start developing more questions than confidence in the spigot fit on these.
I have been disappointed in my Savinelli and Rattray briar spigots, because they turned out to be faux spigots, where the fit is a regular mortice/tenon fitment, with a faux band on the stem side to make it look like a spigot when assembled, without the function of one. I am just keeping these as novelties... :::sigh:::

A true spigot has the fit come from a correct military angle on the cone of the stem side, held by the compression into the same angle of the inverted cone in the mortice in the briar. So, the fit is metal into briar, with a metal band keeping the briar compressed and preventing splitting. On most meerschaum pipes with spigot fits, I never see the stem removed. But, on a couple, I did see where the spigot was faux on one with a regular mortice tenon fit and the faux metal on the stem is decorative, and this one...

meerschaumspig.jpg
This one shows that the fit is metal on metal? I cannot imagine that this would hold, since metal is prone to bending out of shape, making the tenon eventually loose.

That brought up another question... can a traditional spigot fitment with metal into meerschaum even work? The soft stone would eventually abrade away if careful with inserting, and would break with careless use. Briar works, because it is slightly spongy and will create a compression around the stem, and the matching angles holds it firmly in place, regardless of how careful the stem is inserted over time.

Does anyone own a true spigot meerschaum? What is your take on the longevity of the fit? Should I just exclude meerschaums my spigot collection?

Should I just buy a meerschaum and make a sterling screw in type of fit for a spigot?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve never seen a true Morse fitting/spigot Meerschaum. I would imagine that the material, not being all that flexible, and brittle wouldn’t hold that well, and over a relatively short time it would wear…

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I actually have one up for sale from Altinay. True spigot. I’ve never had an issue with the fit. I also give it a little twist when putting the two together.

Attachments

• B9A231C0-A504-4722-8C4F-004FE69DFC99.jpeg
    B9A231C0-A504-4722-8C4F-004FE69DFC99.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: goldenmole

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
The metal on metal spigots are great. I have an Altinay, and it fits tighter and better than I thought it would. The mortise is a chunk of silver, it ain’t going anywhere! I’ve always thought the metal on metal was the ‘true’ spigot. Then there was military mount, like the Peterson system standard pipes. I have a faux spigot from IMP also, and it’s great, too.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Doubt it will be a problem Michael, the surface that holds a relatively light pipe and the friction caused by it is neglicable. I don't think it's wise to put a metal piece through a all meerschaum mortise. My Altinay Meerschaums have a plastic piece on the mortise to not cause friction directly on the material from the tenon.

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
@DanWil84 youre right, Metal on meerschaum would not last long at all!

I also had one of those cutty style pipes from PipesDepot for a lil while, and that small sized spigot had a lil trouble staying together, but most of that problem was because I didn’t want to push too hard to put the tenon in and risk breaking it. Once it was in tho, it was good.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
Reactions: drayve85

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed