PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I ran across this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrzVXXQtAI
Bremen Pipe Smoker attacks some of the rumors about Meerschaums in this video, through his experience.
What rumors, myths, or Anecdotes can we give credence to, or find irrelevant in our experience with These wonderful tools; Meerschaum?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That's a good classic Youtube video. After watching that one, I think it was last year, I stopped worrying so much about my Meers and just grab them and smoke them. The coloring is coming along nicely.
I love his hair and the "Oh, hello there" intro.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A bit long and chatty for my druthers, but I'd love to know what myths he debunks.
One I'd put forth: Meers do not dissolve in water.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This presents proof that meerschaum does not float, FWIW. :puffy:

It refutes the claim by Carl Ehwa on pg. 73 of his Book Of Pipes & Tobacco, that meerschaum, or sea foam, derived its name because it often was seen floating on the Black Sea.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It seems this fellow allows cake to build up in his Meers, which in my opinion is not necessary. I've found that one of the beauties of a Meer is how easily the chamber wipes clean while it's still warm. I believe that a clean Meer gives a superior smoke to a caked one. Some may argue that a briar also smokes better without cake, however, I prefer a light cake on my briars. As the video blogger states, each to his own!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I just remember enjoying his accent when he reviewed Mac Barren Dark Twist Roll Cake.

Jan 8, 2013
It was a bit long winded, but a good video none the less. I say that only because we seem to be so used to Youtube videos being so quick and to the point. It's always... Boom! Information! Downloaded into the brain... Go!!!! Next video!!!! I actually enjoyed the video, and he seems to have covered all of the bases.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I got a real kick out of that guy. It is an informative video but his manner and speech is what held my attention. I am going to ask my barber to match his style! :mrgreen:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Yes, this is a great video. I first watched it several months ago and it sparked a little PAD regarding meers and I ended up with a couple. He knows his stuff. He's also does videos on various pipe tobaccos and goes to different historical sites in Germany where he talks tobacco and history. I like this guy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I meant to try to summarize the most important point he made, and I think it would be: Just smoke the damned things, don't sweat any of it, and don't treat them like fragile glass.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Good video, common sense recommendations. He touched on re-waxing, though most every mention I run across has to do with waxing smooth pipes. I’m curious to others’ thoughts or recommendations as to the techniques of wax treatments for fugurals or lattice textured meers.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
So I guess it’s just a thing..., for smooth meers? Something to feel like your accomplishing something? I really have no intents, just curious if meer people wax treat mixed textures, and how/why.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You can use the same techniques for waxing figural shapes and lattice meerschaum pipes just like a smooth pipe. Per Servi (master carver) it isn't necessary to re-wax a pipe, but understands its very common for individuals to re-wax their pipes. He stated that once a year would be sufficient. He recommends dipping the pipe in wax instead of the paint on method but both will work. I use the paint on method for all of my pipes and it works well for any of them. Altinay's master carver/owner stated in an old interview that he waxes his pipes once a month to help bring out the color of the pipe, and if I recall correctly he used the paint on method. Even master carvers do things differently.
For those that don't know, I have a series of Meerschaum pipe video's on my YT channel that cover all sorts of meerschaum topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.