Meerschaum Recommendation?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

7charb

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents., I have flirted with the idea of a Meerschaum pipe for quite some time, but lack the experience to make the optimal selection. I am particular about pipe stems. I have a first class collection of briar pipes... Larsens, Dunhills, Castellos, etc. Is there a block Meerschaum pipe out there with superb stem construction? I enjoy a refined, more constricted draw. Recommendations appreciated!

Country Bladesmith

Preferred Member
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Gents., I have flirted with the idea of a Meerschaum pipe for quite some time, but lack the experience to make the optimal selection. I am particular about pipe stems. I have a first class collection of briar pipes... Larsens, Dunhills, Castellos, etc. Is there a block Meerschaum pipe out there with superb stem construction? I enjoy a refined, more constricted draw. Recommendations appreciated!
I’ve seen some with nice spigot type connections that looked awesome. I think people were getting them from a carver in Facebook, but I’m not sure who. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in. I don’t do Facebook, but I might would make an exception for one of those.

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a Rattray's with hand poured stem that was about £180 iirc. They're available everywhere and the meerschaum used was feather light with nice carving. Definitely worth a look.

I have a Fikri Baki calabash that is incredible and I know people love his meerschaum pipes, but you have to buy them from China now rather than the States.

Here's mine
rattrays-white-goddess-carved-meerschaum-3-a_1.jpg

Reactions: lelik and 7charb

7charb

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have a Rattray's with hand poured stem that was about £180 iirc. They're available everywhere and the meerschaum used was feather light with nice carving. Definitely worth a look.

I have a Fikri Baki calabash that is incredible and I know people love his meerschaum pipes, but you have to buy them from China now rather than the States.

Here's mine
View attachment 44870

Gorgeous!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jonasclark

Preferred Member
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I think you bought well. Not only do I suspect you'll like that stem construction, but you found a rarity: a true lattice, wherein a bit of space was laboriously carved out behind the holes. Nearly all modern Turkish lattice pipes are what I call false lattice, where there only appears to be such. Lattice carving is, incidentally, entirely a Turkish-era creation.

Reactions: jhowell and 7charb