PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbeard

Lurker
Aug 23, 2020
Hi guys!

Brand new user and new pipe smoker here.

My first pipe was a cheap amazon special due to peer pressure from a friend. I started doing some digging and picked up a meerschaum so we could continue trying new tobacco's. We found a tobacco we love (plum pudding) and I purchased a Peterson with the P lip system to dedicate to it.

So here's the question, the meerschaum is threaded with these cheap plastic connectors back to an acrylic stem. Is there any way to put a P lip type system into a threaded meerschaum?

Or can someone recommend a better stem replacement?

Many thanks!

Reactions: lightmybriar
I think IMP Meerschaum has briar type tenon / mortise connection. Also if you contact one of the Meerschaum re-sellers or carvers they should be able to find / commission a custom pipe for you. Although I don’t know about P-Lip, never seen a modern meerschaum with such a bit.

Are you sure you want a P-Lip ? Many smokers actually prefer it less than a regular bit.

Thunderbeard

Lurker
Aug 23, 2020
No, but I recently unscrewed it and the plastic on both ends is melting and nasty, despite the cleaning I give it every time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think IMP Meerschaum has briar type tenon / mortise connection. Also if you contact one of the Meerschaum re-sellers or carvers they should be able to find / commission a custom pipe for you. Although I don’t know about P-Lip, never seen a modern meerschaum with such a bit.

Are you sure you want a P-Lip ? Many smokers actually prefer it less than a regular bit.

002-029-16090.jpg

Reactions: BROBS and cshubhra
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
No, but I recently unscrewed it and the plastic on both ends is melting and nasty, despite the cleaning I give it every time.
I love the P lip, but I'm sure it's subjective like everything else. I tend to get tongue burn pretty easily and it helps with that tremendously.
These two posts make me think you are smoking way too hot/hard. That plastic insert certainly should not get hot enough to melt. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That’s my point exactly. OP needs a P-Lip. I am unsure if Peterson makes them (Since export of Block Meerschaum is prohibited by Turkish laws) and his best bet is to check out a commission.
They come up on eBay decently often.

Status
Not open for further replies.