PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
It seems to me since I started smoking way back when, that meerschaum pipes have risen in price faster than briar pipes have. It's true that I wasn't aware of artisan briar pipes until about 10 years ago. It's just an observation with no facts to back it up. ?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not sure when Turkey embargoed meerschaum, or what the specific regulations are, but I believe meerschaum blocks are not allowed to be exported out of Turkey, only finished pipes. This anticompetitive action would definitely raise the prices of meers.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
I'm not sure when Turkey embargoed meerschaum, or what the specific regulations are, but I believe meerschaum blocks are not allowed to be exported out of Turkey, only finished pipes. This anticompetitive action would definitely raise the prices of meers.
I believe the Turks banned the export of raw meerschaum decades ago.

Reactions: LOREN and kurtbob

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The "rough" carved pipes are still cheap, rightly so. The better artisans turn out remarkable pipes. While hard to find the really good ones, they are available at what I think are very reasonable prices. The prices have certainly risen but, I think that is because of retailer's costs going up. Turkey is still "third world" with regards to living standards. I doubt carvers are getting substantially more today for their labor than they did twenty years ago.

Reactions: LOREN
Status
Not open for further replies.