PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Here's the article that appears in the February 2011 issue of

The Pipe Collector. For those who've not as yet joined the

NASPC yet, I encourage you to do so. These guys are fun.
MEERSCHAUM MYTHS
By Fred Bass
The number of myths about Meerschaum Pipes rivals those of the pantheon of Greek Gods. They have been around for centuries and find credence in the absence of experience, due in good measure to the abundance of hearsay readily passed along as fact. As in many things in the Pipe Community, answers to questions depend upon who you ask. Personal choices are just that and should be evaluated with clear understanding of how and what implications bias produces statements founded on the paucity of personal experience. There is also resource for information that can be relied on, independently from profit motive or attempts to gain credence as an authority. Over the past couple of years, the All Things Meerschaum Group on Smoker’s Forum (http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/) has served to research, discover and learn from the knowledge and experience of its membership, which now totals 299. The ATM continues to provide dialogue for Pipe smokers, Carvers and Sellers within the Meerschaum Community, while we all learn. There are a few hours of information preserved in the sticky threads, and there is still much to learn. To my knowledge, it is the only group with this focus. I claim no expert status, though others would have me believe that’s the case. Instead, I maintain my posture of the student in this pursuit of understanding the White Goddess’s pleasures and rewards, for those fortunate enough to have enjoyed Meerschaum while learning of the culture. By examining some of these myths, and I don’t presume to think I have a complete list of them; my hope is to bring more Pipe smokers to the fold. This is an event that I truly never thought I might have a small part in, but I’ve been fortunate to have people encourage me to write about what I’ve learned. That’s really as good as it gets. Smoke your Pipes and share what you’ve learned with those who will listen. There is never an end to learning and this article may even start others who’ve acquired knowledge to share it. This is one of the best ways that we learn and have fun at the same time.
A good place to start is the commonly held belief that Meerschaums don’t require a break in period. For the first few smokes, a Meerschaum Pipe will flavor the smoke with Beeswax and volatiles used in the Block finishing by the Carver. The heat of the Pipe, and Meerschaums do get hotter than Briar, serves to start the Beeswax migration within the Block, some of which is lost to the heat. This can be more of a trial if the Carver has not kept the Beeswax out of the bowl’s chamber. A good thing to note is the presence of dust in both the Block and the bit, which is easily removed with Everclear, a shank brush and Pipe cleaners prior to the smoke. Besides, it’s a good idea to clean the Pipe before smoking, as it’s been handled by a number of people before it got to you. This will also benefit you, as this dust has been described as an ‘earthy taste’, which some find unpleasant. This dust can also reduce the Pipe’s draft, so it’s a good idea to get it out of the Pipe. Once the Meerschaum has ‘cured’ by it’s introduction to fire and tobacco, the properties of efficient cooling and absorption will become noticeable. Load the bowl, leaving room to avoid charring the plateau, unless you enjoy smoking a Pipe that looks like it has been lit with the Space Shuttle booster rocket. My preference is to clean the Pipe after every smoke, which stops taste carryover from one blend to the next in all but the blends that will ghost any Pipe. A clean Meerschaum will deliver the clarity of smoking and flavor experience not found with other Pipes. Others choose not to clean their Meerschaums much at all. It’s your choice. As you continue to smoke the Meerschaum, it will continue to provide good service and share what it has learned from the lessons of previous fires.
Meerschaums have poor drafting and those who smoke them have simply learned to compensate and smoke them. This one has always made me laugh… The discussion of what constitutes 'good Pipe smoking mechanics' is a dialogue that has been going on for centuries. The thing is, what constitutes 'a well engineered Pipe' depends on who you ask. These dialogues can become highly tech-strewn debates that in the end come down to the personal preferences of the individual Pipe smoker. The reality of the high grade Turkish Block Meerschaum world is that there is no school to train Carvers and the sharing of information within the community of Carvers is unlikely. The first point to consider is the quality of Block used to carve the Meerschaum. High grade Block is not always available, as it’s found only in the deeper mines at depths of 200 feet or more. It’s expensive to the Carver, which is in turn passed on to the Buyer. Currently, the marketplace is flooded with the lesser grades of Block that come from shallow mines, where modern mining methods are used. These Pipes are likely to have quality problems since they are produced in great numbers by Carvers who grind out 8 or more Pipes a day. In the past few years, the type of bit-to-shank connectors used has progressed from the derlin push/pull type to the same type of connector that is used in Briar, where the tenon is part of the bit, while the mortise resides in the shank. The All Things Meerschaum Group has played a part in this improvement process, as it’s widely read by people from different parts of the world, including those who are in this industry. Examples of this change can be seen in Meerschaums from Baki, IMP and Altinok to name a few. My modest collection has Meerschaums in it that are over 100 years old, so the connectors include bone screws, push/pulls and bits with incorporated tenons. Some of these Pipes require a bit of skill to pass a Pipe cleaner, while others do not. Generally speaking, the classic shapes are more likely to have better drafting properties than the Figurals. Meerschaums that find a market in the ‘bargain’ Buyers, the trinket market (including those found in head shops) or the large commemoratives that are meant for display are less likely to possess smoking qualities sought by most Pipe smokers. The tourist market, both within Turkey and the world at large, will likely have Meerschaums that are best used for display. They can be too big to be comfortably smoked or the carving has been the primary focus of the Carver in his efforts. This wide range of quality of available Meerschaum Pipes is one of the reasons I agreed to start the ATM when the Smoker’s Forum Team asked me to do so. There is no shortage of Pipe repair professionals who will open the draft, taper the bit’s lumen or introduce a new system to the Pipe’s draft. It is best to choose wisely rather than have to depend upon these services. The changes that the ‘70’s brought to the Meerschaum industry have continued. Today, even Peterson offers excellent Meerschaums in their Sherlock Holmes Meerschaum collection, using high grade Turkish Block and their patented system. The topic of new Meerschaum purchase is covered in more detail in the following article. Scroll to the bottom and click on the external link. The article is The Meerschaum Pipe Experience (A Beginner’s Guide to Meerschaum Pipes.) This is written for both the novice and those who have years of experience with these Pipes as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerschaum.
Meerschaum Pipes mute tobacco flavor. I confess that this one has me stumped, as I cannot find this in my own experience. I have found that the qualities of the stone impart no flavor to the blend being smoked, as long as the Pipe is clean. The result is a cooler and dryer smoking experience not found in other materials used by Pipe Carvers. Quite possibly, since I don’t allow cake buildup in the chamber, guys that smoke Briar with cake to add flavor to the smoke is what this is about. I have noticed that Morta Pipes absorb nothing so the flavor of the smoke is more intense and the nicotine delivery is 100%. Clay Pipes smoke similar to Meerschaum, but then Meerschaum is a type of Clay with a needle-like morphology, that can absorb it’s weight in liquid without expanding. To me, Meerschaums deliver true tobacco taste since the Block doesn’t burn or add to the taste of whatever you’re smoking. With use, the migration patterns become more established in the Block and the smoking qualities of the Pipe improve. It’s like the Pipe learns from it’s experiences with fire and tobacco and just keeps improving with use. The break-in period also primes the Block with heat and moisture. Yes, a Meerschaum can be smoked more frequently than Briar since it doesn’t require the same rest time between smokes. If the Meerschaum is smoked frequently, it’s possible to reach the Block’s capacity to absorb…, but this is not the norm. Let the Pipe dry out at night. After a week or two of continuous smoking, it is a good idea to let the Pipe dry for a few days. If anyone can explain to me how a Meerschaum dumbs the taste down in a smoke, I’d like to know how that works.
Another one for the scrap pile is the assertion that Meerschaums don’t show grain patterns. Nothing could be further from the truth. In my article, Slave to the White Goddess, http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/slave-to-the-white-goddess/#more-4043 this myth is debunked. What so many find frustrating about coloring Meerschaums, and there is debate about how coloring should display, is that is the prime factor among many will be the grain of the Block. The most obvious example is marbled coloration. With the highest quality of Block, grain patterns can be seen beneath a translucent surface, even before the Pipe is smoked. This is a trait characteristic of high grade Turkish Block. Some of this same grade of Block will color evenly, without color concentration in any area of the Pipe’s surface. In this article, the fine points of waxing Meerschaums are discussed, along with an explanation of the flow dynamics of patina development. It’s a theory of how the tobacco, the Beeswax and the fire produce coloration, as there is no scientific study available that I’m aware of. It does help to understand how the process works, but it doesn’t give the ability to predict how any specific Pipe will color. The Muse plays with us all. Lesser grades of Turkish Block and African Block don’t seem to display grain with the development of patina. Most African Block is colored at the factory, as the appearance of the Block is mottled grey. Lesser grades of Turkish Block have inclusions of aggregate incorporated into the Block, making it heavy and likely to crack with use due to the different expansion and contraction properties of the Sepiolite and the inclusions. It looks like chalk. Pressed Meerschaum is comprised of Meerschaum chips, dust and scraps held together by a binding agent. It has no grain and it’s in your best interest to avoid it. What this all comes down to is that the grain, or the lack thereof is best demonstrated by the individual coloring characteristics of the Block used to create the Pipe.

This next link is to my article, The Thrill of the Hunt (A Guide to Estate Meerschaums). It also shows Meerschaums that are coloring, some of which are over 100 years old. The development of patina is a specific and non-replicating event with each Meerschaum Pipe over the course of it’s life of service to the Pipe smoker.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-thrill-of-the-hunt-a-guide-to-estate-meerschaums/#more-3931

By this time, it should be clear that the first consideration in purchasing a Meerschaum should be the quality of Block used in the creation of the Pipe. Some maintain that the carvings are gimmicks since Meerschaum has no value or smokes poorly until well seasoned. Others reason that since it can take a very long time to fully color a Meerschaum, you would be better off to save the cash by purchasing pressed Meerschaum Pipes. It’s a fact that some Pipe smokers have purchased Figurals and other intricately carved Pipes, without any consideration made for what quality of service the Pipe will provide. I have no desire to smoke a Pipe made from epoxy and Meerschaum dust. The life of such a Pipe will be short and will not provide any of the characteristic benefits of one that is carved from high grade Block. It is this that has kept my interest for years, not the display put on by coloration. High grade Turkish Block and African Block processed by Calcination can provide long service. No degree of craftsmanship can overcome the limitations of poor quality Block.
Some will tell you that Meerschaum is heavier than Briar and the Pipes aren’t well balanced. There is no shortage of shapes in both Meerschaum and Briar that aren’t balanced – which is another personal preference that has somehow become accepted as fact. There is also a range in quality of Block for Meerschaums and Briar. Smooth Meerschaums are usually carved from lighter Block, while Figurals and intricately carved Pipes make use of denser Block. Yes, high grade Turkish Block can be dense and heavy. This is not the same thing as low grade Block that is made heavy by inclusions, which is often referred to by Carvers as sandstone Meerschaum. Both dense and lightweight high grade Meerschaum smoke well. Sandstone Meerschaum is prone to crack, as the inclusions contract and expand differently with the heating and cooling of the Pipe. Light high grade Block can also have areas of dense Block, which results in marbling coloration. I’m sure that we all can find examples in both Meerschaum and Briar that both support and refute this generalization. It’s in the same category as the assertion that Meerschaums have production bits. While this is true in the ‘bargain’ Pipes, it’s not valid in the works of some of the better Carvers. These claims aren’t supported by the facts anymore than making statements about high grade Briar Pipes based on personal experience with the Pipes you find in a basket at the local B&M. A clue to the validity of a generalization that has been passed along as fact can be seen in the length and level of experience of the person making the statement. Some will profess vast experience, while others may have none at all.
My reasons for writing this article flow from a very simple idea. No matter how much you hear or read, you really don’t have a good idea of what smoking a Meerschaum Pipe is like until you do so. You will find out if these Pipes are for you or not based on experience and the limitations of your budget. It’s in your best interest to make your early experiences and decisions with quality Pipes. Reputable sources aren’t hard to find, but the abundance of questionable Sellers is something better left to those who have more experience with these Pipes. The rewards are far greater than the risk of getting burned. There’s a lot of information in the articles mentioned here and then the All Things Meerschaum group provides a huge resource. The decisions are yours to make. It’s a decision that may very well result in your discovering that the charms of the White Goddess will bring you to the fold of happy devotes. It can become a passion, such as it has been with me and others that will trigger uncontrolled PAD where you are well pleased. It has been known to devastate financial resources and the selling of treasured Pipes in your collection. At the very least, it will give you experience in another aspect of Pipe smoking that predates the French bringing Briar Pipes to the smoking world. This is an adventure of discovery that can bring you the experience of seduction of how good these White Pipes can be.

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Good read I have been interested in Meerschaum pipes for awhile but haven't found one I wanted to buy yet.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the article Fred. These myths arise by a variety of motivations:

a desire to make sense of phenomena in the absence of fact; speculation and

theorizing about how things work; shrewd marketing and profiteering; and

sometimes just wishful thinking. The myths seem to take on a life of their own

as they are accepted as received wisdom, and passed on to others. Thanks for

taking the time to address some of these issues.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Very informative, thanks for posting. And congrats on

your new title "Devotee of the White Goddess".

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys! I enjoy watching the interest in Meerschaum Pipes blossom.

These Pipes really have a lot to offer and learning about them is in your

best interest, especially if you're considering a purchase. These articles

bring information to both novice and experienced Pipe smokers and do result

in more Pipe smokers becoming devotees of the White Goddess.
Thanks Puffintuff. When I asked Kevin to put this designation in my member's

designation, he thought it was cool. I think it has a zing to it.

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
Fred, some of that explains why I did not enjoy my Meerchaum and I actually gave it away (Briar lover,me)! The pipe was a gift and would have been my priciest pipe. Mike

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
There is more of a learning curve to Meerschaums than Briar Mike. That's why I agreed to start the All Things Meerschaum group on Smoker's Forum a couple of years ago. Finding the right Pipe and learning how to take care of it presents a number of choices that the Pipe smoker needs to make, and knowing what these choices are is to your advantage. It all depends on what you expect from a Pipe. In the book "The Pipe Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide" by David Wright, he states: "Ismet Bekler is probably the most recognized pipe carver in Turkey. Bekler makes between 2,000 and 4,000 pipes annually, and his signature series includes up to 500 pipes each year." Bekler was the lead Master Carver for CAO and certainly became well known as a result of the affiliation that CAO had with the Tinderbox empire.

http://books.google.com/books?id=S5wnsAudih4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Pipe+Companion:+A+Connoisseurs+Guide&hl=en&ei=N5lFTb-vN4GC8gbLrNiUAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Here's the response from Deniz Ural, who has been in the Meerschaum trades for over 42 years, when recently questioned about how many Pipes does a Master Carver produce.
This question in fact opens many brackets.
Obviously there are many factors that contribute to the number of pieces a meerschaum carver can produce in a day, in a week, in a year or in one's lifetime.
First we have to define what is meant by "carving" in the question. Are we talking about just the carving of the meerschaum or the completion of the whole pipe.
At this point I think it is very beneficial for the meer lovers to realize that the carvers do not produce each pipe individually from start to finish. Instead they will pick up a number of blocks and go through the stages for making those pipes as a group.
There are meerschaum workshops that are consisted of numerous carvers and assistants. Naturally such groups will produce more pipes in number than an individual Carver doing the whole work himself. Shops working as a large team are usually filling large orders where the carving is done by more experienced carvers in a speedy manner and the finishing like the sanding, mouthpiece, waxing is left to the assistants. This results in a lower standard of production. Though I must add that today there are not many of those groups left. Like everything else concerning the meerschaums that is another diminishing factor for the meerschaum pipe production.
I do not think that any of the Turkish meerschaum carvers would know the number of pipes they have created during their lifetime. I'm sure they do not have a list. Furthermore there are the factors of holidays, sick days, slow business periods etc. etc But more importantly not having adequate supply of raw blocks that may contribute to the inconsistency of the carvers' production. Whereas mass orders that do not require high quality nor details result in high numbers . Let me also add that the Turkish meerschaum carvers are much faster than you think. I have known of many that can carve (carving only) up to 40-50 standard shapes and 20-25 carved faces per day. I guess this is why you see so much junk on eBay.
As far as master Carver Baki is concerned ; his apprenticeship that started in 1968

up until his return from the military service in 1973 should not count. Between 1973 and the year 2000 he has worked at times alone and at times with a partner. During that long period there have been times that he has produced up to 600 pipes per month with a partner/helper. Therefore it is very difficult even for himself to guess those numbers.
As of the year 2000 he has been working with me specializing in more detailed and sophisticated carving.Sometimes he works on one mouth piece alone for half a day. Some pieces require longer time to carve than others. I think a realistic number for Mr. Baki's SOLO monthly production would be 35-40 pieces.
So bottom line the production number depends on the quality engineering and meticulous work.
Deniz

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The Peterson Sherlock Holmes Meerschaums are top quality, high grade Turkish

Block Pipes Dublinthedam. They are pricey but you get what you pay for. I

enjoy the Original and the Squire frequently. If you like system Pipes and

are willing to put up with the maintenance that Vulcanite bits require, then

you will enjoy these Pipes. The Block is lighter than the bit. They are

not widely available, likely due to the scarcity of this grade of Block.

They smoke well and color quickly.

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I got my copy of the Pipe Collector in the mail yesterday, I saw the article and starting reading it without looking at the author. As I was reading it I started to get pissed off because I thought the author ripped off Fred. Then I saw that it was Fred who wrote it haha...great article Fred.

dmkerr

Lurker
Feb 6, 2011
Ah, my old pal Fred! What an excellent article! Gets better with each read. There's such a wealth of misinformation regarding meerschaum - thanks for clearing a lot of it up! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.