PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have two meer lined Falcon bowls. Falcon uses the std bowl and adds the meerschaum so I get thick walls and very small tobacco chambers. My preference. They smoke great whether block or composite.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I've never liked meerschaum lined pipes and felt they were just a gimmick but it seems I am wrong as usual. Still not going to get one.

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I've never liked meerschaum lined pipes and felt they were just a gimmick but it seems I am wrong as usual. Still not going to get one.
I don't believe you are wrong. In my experience they smoke nothing like block meerschaum. They are usually marketed as having the durability of briar with the smoking qualities of meerschaum but I find them to be subpar.

Reactions: kcghost

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Someone who knows pipes told me that the old Peterson kapmeers are fantastic smokers, but I have yet to try one. I have an unsmoked meerschaum-lined Mastercraft that I might try out soon.

View attachment 145079
I agree. I have a '68-'71 Peterson Kapmeer 999 - the one where the stem goes into briar not into a tenon fitted in the shank. Peterson used a block meerschaum cup that ends just above the draft hole. The theoretical advantage was that the pipe would smoke cooler and the meerschaum would act like a filter. The real advantage is that they cool down quickly and you can smoke a second bowl almost right away. Mine smokes great. I hated it when I first got it 40 yrs ago but now that I actually know how to smoke a pipe I love it and it has become one of my favorite smokers for a quick smoke - the chamber is 17mm x 35 mm. Its best to sip the tobacco with a slow cadence rather than stoke it like a furnace.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Aren’t there two types of meer lining? Like one which is made up of composite and added to the sides of the chamber like putty, and one which is a whole piece dropped into the chamber with the draft hole being pre drilled through it?
3 actually... I discovered a long time ago that Kiko meer-lined pipes while marked block meer use a 2-piece insert. For quite a while I thought the inserts were just cracking. However after observation I realized there were actually 2 pieces of meer in the insert - the heel to half-way up the chamber and a second piece on top of that. Little meer dust and egg-white fixes the problem...