PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimT

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
I'm fairly new to this group but I've been a pipe smoker for 30+ years. I have and use about a dozen brier pipes but I really like calabash pipes.

Above is original title.

Is it possible to glue a crack in the underside of the meerschaum insert of a calabash? Is there a non-toxic adhesive available for that?

Last edited by a moderator:

JimT

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Egg white and chalk dust seems to be the lore, or you could buy a replacement meerschaum cap.
Thanks, I haven't heard about the egg white/chalk dust, I'll try that. I've bought 3 replacements, all from the same company but I don't care for the design. Except for the size they're all exactly alike. It makes me wonder if they are molded or turned. Does that make a difference in the quality?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

JimT

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Thanks, I haven't heard about the egg white/chalk dust, I'll try that. I've bought 3 replacements, all from the same company but I don't care for the design. Except for the size they're all exactly alike. It makes me wonder if they are molded or turned. Does that make a difference in the quality?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 5, 2021
Is it possible to glue a crack in the underside of the meerschaum insert of a calabash? Is there a non-toxic adhesive available for that?
i smoked my first calabash in 1968.....the tops were said to be pressed meershcaum.....for your problem use elmers white glue....the kid stuff....it is a milk derivative i believe......i put cotton bolls inthe horn of the bash......GOT DEATHLY ILL.....because the smoke was so pure.....worse than a wine drunk......i have about 20 meers some going back to the late 60's from guys bringing suitcases of them back from assignment in turkey......large sultan heads,,,,2 inches high went for about 10 bux each in 1968.....but they only got light pink at best..,,,,,meerschaum block is easy to tell.......mass versus weight.......most calabash tops are pressed unless otherwise stated......but the weight is the key.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021
i smoked my first calabash in 1968.....the tops were said to be pressed meershcaum.....for your problem use elmers white glue....the kid stuff....it is a milk derivative i believe......i put cotton bolls inthe horn of the bash......GOT DEATHLY ILL.....because the smoke was so pure.....worse than a wine drunk......i have about 20 meers some going back to the late 60's from guys bringing suitcases of them back from assignment in turkey......large sultan heads,,,,2 inches high went for about 10 bux each in 1968.....but they only got light pink at best..,,,,,meerschaum block is easy to tell.......mass versus weight.......most calabash tops are pressed unless otherwise stated......but the weight is the key.
POST SCRIPT.....robert foxworth and elizabeth bewitched montgomery starred in a made for tv movie back inthe 80's about a amboseli afriican meershaum miner and his nemesis naturalist....it is full and free on youtube.....i forgot the title of the movie.....just key in robert forster and elizabeth montgomery.....meerschaum

May 5, 2021
Unless it's African meerschaum. Much heavier.
i remember when amboseli kiko meers were hot in the late 60's.....i was going to get one......until a sergeant brought back a suitcase full of turkish carved head and traditional shape meers from turkey in 1968........for about 10 bux each,,,,lots of money then,,,,,,i bought 4 sultans and 3 standard shapes....about 70 bux.....they were all feather lite and block.,,,,,still looking at them all these decades later.....something good during the viet era.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
i remember when amboseli kiko meers were hot in the late 60's.....i was going to get one......until a sergeant brought back a suitcase full of turkish carved head and traditional shape meers from turkey in 1968........for about 10 bux each,,,,lots of money then,,,,,,i bought 4 sultans and 3 standard shapes....about 70 bux.....they were all feather lite and block.,,,,,still looking at them all these decades later.....something good during the viet era.
They pop up on ebay fairly often.?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
i smoked everything of macbarens and iwan ries from 66-72.......then got hooked on handmade jamaican cigars.....went back to english latakia blend 15 years ago....and then had to quit all tobacc.....but i know alot.....to offer here
We are glad to have you. There are so many factors that go into this hobby and the history of the pipes and the blends is a big part. Your input will be appreciated and valued.

Reactions: Devil Anse
Status
Not open for further replies.