PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As I've shared before, I don't use my Falcon very much. It seems small in volume and a bit fiddly to keep going.
I have a "normal" sized meer lined bowl on it.
falcon-600x337.jpg

I'm thinking of trying a block meerschaum bowl, not just lined, and am looking for options and opinions. The larger, the better.
If you have or had one, please tell us about it.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I bought 2 a few years ago. One didn't last long. It broke off at the base. The other one is still going strong. Last month I ordered another one. It has developed a hairline crack up the side, but the crack is just on the outside. I'm hoping that it will hold up for a long time. All of my bowls were purchased from 4Noggins. They all have a cork base and what appears to be a faucet washer. One word of caution....Let the bowl completely cool down before removing it from the stem. I truly believe that not letting the bowl cool down before removal was the cause of one of my breaking off at the base.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's right about the cork. I got rid of the one like that I have. The ones I purchased from Ebay have screw threads. I love those.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 3 of them. The last one I bought was from 4Noggins. It is surprisingly large and I love it!...
OET4Gb1.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, I took the plunge.
An ebay seller, white-pearl-meerschaum, had the most appealing offerings to me.
I found two I liked and, undecided, got both. I chose the Model 3 and the Model 8. He did a combined offer to save shipping.
LINK
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Threads are delrin with a rubber o-ring seal.
jay-roger.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve been toying around with the idear of getting a Meer bowl for one of my falcons but I just don’t like the restricted draw on them and I obviously can’t modify the airways to suit my preference, I like a wide open draw, I end up drilling out most of my briar to suit my preference. Still I may have to try it sometime. Love the look of them and I enjoy watching pipes color as I smoke them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Tonight, I am taking the "bulldog" style bowl on its maiden voyage with some Warhorse Ready Cut.
fm4-600x450.jpg

The chamber is only a tad wider than my meer lined briar bowl but much deeper.
fm1-600x450.jpg

The fresh meerschaum stands out like a sore thumb now but I'm imagining a nice effect after the coloration sets in. It should compliment the brown stem nicely.
fm2-600x421.jpg

My only critique of the new bowl, so far, is how it is much wider at the base than the pipe. The briar bowl suffered the same issue to a lesser degree. Again, I'm hoping some color will help.
fm3-600x331.jpg

Hawky, you might be interested to know that I find the draw notably more open than with the briar bowl, even with the "pipe cleaner filter" installed.
I still get a minor metallic taste from this pipe. I'm very sensitive to metal tastes. I almost never drink canned beverages and have even gotten rid of some stainless insulated mugs, as I have found them to taint my coffee. Hopefully, this is a "break in" issue, since this pipe is not far from new.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Since the whole meer thing is still new to me, I thought I'd share "progress", in case anyone else is curious about rate of coloration.
I've still only used one of the two bowls. It's become my regular pipe for Luxury twist Flake.
Here is how it looks after about 25 uses.
meer11-600x450.jpg

meer21-600x450.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.