PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
my new meer is colouring strangely.
After 20 bowls I decided to give it a waxing,
I have been using the old coin in the bottom of the bowl trick,but when waxed instead of bringing out a little colour in the stem and lower bowl the top changed colour and the stem /lower bowl nothing.
I realise it is very early but this seems backwards to what I was lead to expect.IMG_20210707_202424075.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Looks great to me, but I've never messed about waxing or worrying about how meers colour. Some meershaum takes years to colour, some don't hardly colour at all. Shame they don't 'Ox blood' them like they did years ago really. They always looked better to my eyes. Beautiful Cutty, regardless wether it colours or not. ?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Looks great to me, but I've never messed about waxing or worrying about how meers colour. Some meershaum takes years to colour, some don't hardly colour at all. Shame they don't 'Ox blood' them like they did years ago really. They always looked better to my eyes. Beautiful Cutty, regardless wether it colours or not. ?
I have only had it 1 week but I dont think I have smoked my other pipes more than 3 times

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I try not to have too much of an opinion about how my meers colour so as to stave off disappointment. But I prefer the bowl colouring like that to the stem colouring first. Looks good!
they're like a child you just have to love them for what they are and accept their unique weirdness. Or end up disapointed.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Looks fine to me. Quick question to you. The coin at the base of the bowl has been drilled right? Please don't wax the pipe with bees wax just smoke the damned thing and be patient. It will starting turning color on the stem pretty quickly.
yes the coin has 5 x 3mm holes drilled in it.
I am currently smoking it 4-5 times a day with GH Dark Flake.
Do you think a coin or philtpad is better?
So far that's just the wax discoloring from the heat. If you were to dip it in hot wax it would wash the color away. You'll start seeing an ashy color forming around the heel that will darken and spread over time.
there is actually a small grey area forming on the stem nearest the bit

Last edited:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That looks fine. Just run a pipe cleaner through it ever so often. Avoid the desire to take the whole thing apart and clean, its a pipe and not a folding rifle. Personally I like the coin as the effect is not so dissimilar to using a 'coloring bowl' that people think are so great.
Thanks Simon
although this pipe has a push/pull tenon I with a reasonably open draw have not removed it yet but have cleaned the stem/draft with a warm water pipe cleaner a couple of times.
I will stick with the coin then if it will colour below the coin like the old meers do