PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm honored to have received my first Meerschaum from the late great fish'n'banjo, an estate straight billiard with wine grape etchings. Here's my summary of how Meerschaums excel; they give you an elevated definition and clarity of flavors on all single-leaf and blends, and are particularly good at complex multi-leaf blends with five or more constituent tobaccos, and are also excellent at discerning the nuances of single leaf burley or Virginia. I love my briars and cobs, but Meers are special in their opening up tastes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some carvers fail when it comes to chamber geometry. Makes me think they're not pipe smokers. Also, meerschaum pipes are notorious for constricted stems, although that's changing as some makers have switched over to briar-like tenon/mortise systems.

On the plus side, meers require less rest than briars, but don't push them ridiculously hard because the accumulation of moisture will eventually soften the stone somewhat. Of course, that's easily rectified by an extended rest.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I held my first meerschaum pipe yesterday, in an antique flea market. Didn't purchase it for it was more than I wanted to pay. But wow, it felt like it was made out of styrofoam! I never knew they were that light! Definitely changed my perspectives....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Meerschaum are definitely a separate genre of pipe and require a new learning curve of familiarization. It's hard to tell who is the source and who is the wholesaler, and what branded Meerschaum means. It is often unclear which pipes are composite and which are carved from the natural Meerschaum, and there is often no specific detail on what kind of stem mounting is being offered. Time will tell, and some of this is obvious to people who have bought them over the years. But the makers, and often the retailers, don't impart much detail to tell you what is on offer. So you are in some ways starting over with pipes when you buy a Meer. Caution is required, and don't assume that spending a lot will buy you something good. Likewise, some pipe people know Meers and others don't at all, so you have to sound them out to see if the info is reliable.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I didn't get a significant enough difference in the way they smoke compared to briar to keep mine.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
My advice, stay away from the bent Meers, if the draft hole is small, you’ll have issues of it turning into a bong. I have a Tekin that has this issue. Also the stem is narrow, which causes condensation to develop and drip down into the pipe, causing the same bong effect. When it smokes good , I love it. When it’s a bong, I want to throw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.