PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

streambrewer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Kansas
Hi, I have not had a chance to post much on this forum, but it has been very useful for me. I do have a couple of questions though about some meerschaum pipes that I have had for about ten years, but not had a chance to smoke much for a number of reasons.

One is a large latticed straight billiard that I have smoked off an on, but I haven't liked it especially for its smoking characteristics. It seems to be a wet smoker, and it usually takes me about five pipe cleaners to keep it dry in the course of a bowl. It has the teflon tenon and stem joiner, and it also seems to have a difficult draw compared to my briar pipes. I have run tons of the reamer style cleaners through it, but regardless of the type of pipe cleaner, it is also very difficult to get through the stem. The restriction seems to be entirely in the stem. Being a straight, is there any issue in carefully drilling out to a slightly larger diameter?
The other is unsmoked with an very elaborate set of lattace and the elephant carving. Haven't smoked it, but plan to. Is there any harm in not waxing it, or is it simply just good practice to keep them waxed up?
I have attached a photo for reference, but appreciate any perspective that some of you might have with more experience..
Cheers!
Matt

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
If I wanted to open up the airway on one of my meers, I would send it to a professional repair shop. Walker Pipe Repair specifically advertises this service. http://walkerpiperepair.com/html/fixing_meers.html
I never have waxed my meers, so I cannot offer any advice on that subject.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Wrote a long article on the subject about a year ago, granted that was more aimed at the antique end of the spectrum but the same applies to all meerschaums.

streambrewer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Kansas
Thanks guys. I did some fiddling with the stem, and was able to clean out what looked like gummed up cotton debris or something. It definitely was not coming out with another pipe cleaner of any type. Not sure it fixed the problem as I have not had a chance to smoke it yet, but the next step will be to send to Walker Pipe Repair.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Search by my user name and the articles will show up sometime in Jan/Feb 2014. Send me links on flea bay. I am not buying right now but I will give you thoughts for what its worth.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ae1pt PM answered. Sorry it is rather a long response but I think I have covered all the bases on those two pipes. As I said in my PM 'go for it' and please do post pictures if you win them! Good luck chum.

streambrewer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Kansas
Gents, a little update. I read carefully the steps taken to open up a meerschaum used by Walker Pipe Repair, and re-examined my pipe. With the the stem out the dimensions of the air passage coming from the bowl were already very close to those that he sought, although a bit smaller. However, the stem has significant constriction in the tenon as he noted was common. That was the chokepoint, as it opened up toward the bit.
I have a large assortment of precise drill bits in those dimensions from the sheetmetal work I do in restoring my '55 Airstream. It seemed fairly straightforward, so I gave it a go with a 1/8" bit, prepared to move up to 5/32". Carefully and very smoothly opened the tenon to 1/8". Really cleaned up the passage. Put the pipe back together, filled, and it was like a completely different pipe, cooler, much drier, and nearly perfect draw. Smoked three bowls full while working on projects in the garage, requiring but one pipe cleaner the whole time with fairly moist tobacco. This pipe has largest bowl in my collection as well at 2" x 7/8" capacity.
Utterly pleased as punch! Need to wax it again soon, but this pipe is truly saved. Next up is my other meer that I bought ten years ago while overseas, actually not far from the source. :wink:
Not ready yet to go for estate meers, but my first estate purchase from eBay went well, and I am looking at more, but am rather careful. Still working through trying out all the estate pipes that I have inherited and restored, (about 5).
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.