PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
So, today, I got my two meerschaum Falcon bowls from Turkey and also my big mystery box of (mostly) aro's from catyrpelius' sale.
I've heard it said numerous times that meerschaum is ghost resistant, so it sounds like a good idea to finally experiment with some aro's in the new Falcon bowls.
Please tell me everything you think I should know about putting new meer into service, caring for it along the way and your experience with ghosting (or not).
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

PS Photos later when I find the Falcon...

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jay They ghost. Don’t go putting Lakeland’s in them, unless. And they may clear a ghost quicker, but Perique has ghosted mine. It smoked out over a few bowls but they are just like every other pipe. iMHO

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I have three estate meers and they all arrived with aro ghosting. After initial cleaning the ghosts disappeared after several bowls of Black Frigate, my preferred deghoster.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I still had meers, I smoked them like any other pipe but wiped the bowls out after every smoke with unscented baby wipes to prevent any carbon build up.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
The White Goddess must be fed virgins. :twisted:
Aside from that, smoke anything, give the bowl a good wipe-out, I use blue surgical towels, & shank swabbing with a pipe cleaner, both moistened with distilled or RO water.

Haven’t had any ghosting, though I smoke aro’s in dedicated cobs or clay pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.