PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Title edited for caps. Rule 9. -jpm

About all I knew about Meer pipes was they were white and made from material that would color over time as one smoked it. That was from my first foray into the pipe world about 25+ years ago. Ffwd to now and reading all these posts and looking at meer pipe sites I see unsmoked “butterscotch-like“ colored pipes. What is that about? Also is there a way to tell from a photo whether a meer pipe is block or pressed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BROBS and alwayslit
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The carvers color some of the Meers. I believe the gold ones are just the wax they use being heated. Then you see all kind of other colors, I assume they use some kind of stain or dye. None of those appealed to me as I find a significant part of the appeal with Meers is how they color as you smoke them.

I don't know if a way to discern block from pressed by looking at the photo. Perhaps there is. But any reputable dealer or carver is going to list this in the specifications. Go to the website for Altinay or Meerschaum Market and browse.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Turkey produces the world's best meerschaum. These are generally white, but can come pre-coloured. Sometimes an unbleached wax finish is applied which results in yellow/honey tones.

African meerschaum (from now closed mines in Tanganyika) is poorer quality and because it is rarely pristine white, are usually precoloured.

I have a few African meers which I like be caused they are more robust and stand up to less gentle handling.

An example of a well-coloured 1896 meerschaum cutty. The stem is a replacement
image.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Without pictures I'd hazard a guess it's just wax.

I have, I'm not sure how many, pipes from the same carver with at least 4 different finishes.

Untreated, a couple different kinds of wax, and flame treated.

I think it's neat to see the differences.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Thanks for the info folks. I was curious and know, from what I read here, a number of you really like them and this would be a pool of dependable information. I am not intending on purchasing any at the moment but now if I find one that strikes my fancy I know a bit more and can look into it further.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
There's nothing new about pre-colored meerschaum. I have a beautiful little Barling meerschaum from 1925, and much earlier examples, dyed a rich cark red have been around since before that.
The Barling meerschaum pipes were stained with a wonderful mix of two colors , one I do not recall and the other being ox blood red. The stain was then burned in with an alcohol lamp.
It took quite some time to retrieve the elaborate article from the www . I started searching fot it contemplating restaining and antique Barling billiard with a silver cap and a militairy mount stem. It needs repait; overzealous reaming left a hole ion the bottom of the bowl. Meer is more vulnarable than briar and this what often occurs.
I kick myself for accidentily not saving the article :(
Meanwhile decided not to restain it; too much risk involved and once done it cannot be reversed.

Reactions: BROBS and alwayslit
Jun 23, 2019
Pre-colored are usually African meerschaum. You need to get on your computer and do a bit of research. Man-made? Turkish? African? What you decide on depends on what you desire out of your "meer." So, "due diligence" is required.

Have you not notice the huge influx of newby using New Threads like Google search? :ROFLMAO:

They're all *here* doing their research.