PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I firmly believe in the white, cotton glove or, very clean hands, when handling a pristine meerschaum pipe. At least until there is a good color in the base and stem. Then I think one can handle the colored part however they wish, keeping in mind that added oils from the hand, dirt and grime, will still add/or detract to the pipe's look.
I think this bit of an inconvenience helps to ensure the best possible coloring. But, there is no way to tell as each pipe colors according to the structure of the sepiolite so no way to run a decent test. Each pipe is different.
So ... all this pontificating by me and others is simply laying out what we have observed over the years. You can't smoke a meer one way for a few years, then clean it, start over with a different technique and then make comparisons.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A white cotton glove? Whats that? I suppose its handy if Michael Jackson pops over to your house and wants to smoke one of your meerschaums. I suppose we could call it the Michael Jackson Method of Meer Coloration! Here I am worrying about pipe notches on my teeth and now I realize I had it all wrong all these years. On that note I am going to stuff some plug in my meerschaum, light it but not before buying a gimp suit! :rofl:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My hands are usually greasy and oily. You've got me on the Michael Jackson reference though. Ted Jackson taught me commercial diving and never wore cotton gloves. Michael Jackson? Was he Janet Jackson's brother? Sister? Something like that, if memory serves me (It often doesn't.).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats the fellow and he always wore a single glove Warren! Interestingly I always thought Janet and Michael were the same person as you never saw them together :rofl:

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Wow! You are hard on pipes! Well, you wrote you were a hard smoker.
By "white glove" standards, yes. Truthfully, I enjoy the look and character of old relic pipes. I don't set out to distress my pipes but a lot can happen in 25 years of habitual use. I'm okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.