PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Looks like a good approach. In my case, I just stuff the whole pouch into a pint sized mason jar if I'm not going to smoke it all within a month or so of opening. That's worked well for me.

Reactions: BROBS

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Short term is probably okay. I'm not sure after that. I keep some on-hand plug and rope tobacco in small mason jar, each in their own little plastic pouches, which I force the air out of. Yet, every time I open that jar, I get a strong whiff of the tobaccos, which tells me it's permeating the plastic. Also, I've read that you actually want a little air in a mason jar when storing loose tobacco (as in don't jam it in to the rim), so that's another reason I would have reservations for storing that way long term. Not sure what you mean by medium term, but you're probably good for a few months with that system.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
How do You see if this is good method for medium term pouch tobacco conserving? with this pump I'm able to create more or less firm vacuum in these Bags, yet these are reusable
View attachment 40735
So far I still have a bunch of St. Bruno pouches from 2016 that I’ve not sealed at all and the tobacco is just as moist as they were fresh off the shelf, those pouches they use really hold up well. For long term storage I seal all my pouches in Mylar. What you have posted above will do fine for many many years but if you plan on doing long term storage I personally would switch over to Mylar.

Even the cheap Condor pouches do fine. I bought a 5 pack that was roughly dated as being early 90’s production. The Tobacco had dried slightly but still perfect smoking moisture and still very much heavily scented Condor (much heavier scented than current day production)

A71AD27F-70D4-4F3A-BA0B-A76AD0EF313A.jpeg
8F928516-0936-4539-BFAB-48BCE6B911E3.jpeg

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian