Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
The most reliable test I know to differentiate between block and meer is to mark it with a piece of silver "I wear a sterling ring that I use for that purpose). Block will show no mark while pressed will have a mark left by the silver.

Aug 1, 2012
I have 2, both are ones I've broken in from new. They are African meer and as @jhowell wrote, African meer is not pressed but was mined in a different location, specifically in modern day Tanzania. They are well made as any commercial meer and smoke pretty well.

Reactions: anotherbob

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
I have 2, both are ones I've broken in from new. They are African meer and as @jhowell wrote, African meer is not pressed but was mined in a different location, specifically in modern day Tanzania. They are well made as any commercial meer and smoke pretty well.
The 2 Medicos that I have were also new; I was the first to smoke them and I can definitely tell a difference in the way they are coloring compared to Turkish meer's I have bought new and smoked. I have noticed the Medico meer's don't seem to color as fast. As far as the taste of tobaccos smoked in them, I detect no difference compared with my Turkish block meer's.

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
I really have to be careful about reading too many threads on this website.
Nabbed this at a still alright price of $50. Also 14k gold banded, filtered, and a nice amount of coloring. No box.
Some light surface crackling, but it seems more part of the meerschaum than damage, we'll see when she gets here. Gonna have to learn how to properly clean and sterilize one of these bad boys now.
DG5mZ8H.png
So what's the verdict?

Aug 1, 2012
Can you post a picture of your 2 pipes?
Sadly, I can't. They're both in storage back home. I travel a lot for work so most of my pipes and tobaccos are in storage. I'm in luck that many of my tobaccos can come with me this time so I can at least enjoy what I want when I want.

One's an apple and one's a billiard though.

Aug 1, 2012
The 2 Medicos that I have were also new; I was the first to smoke them and I can definitely tell a difference in the way they are coloring compared to Turkish meer's I have bought new and smoked. I have noticed the Medico meer's don't seem to color as fast. As far as the taste of tobaccos smoked in them, I detect no difference compared with my Turkish block meer's.
They probably won't color much at all as the higher density makes that less likely. Depending on the block though, you may get some color that wouldn't be classified as dirty.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Here's a NOS Medico Meer on eBay. Seller has two available. I would buy it but I already own one. It's a very nice pipe, just don't need two! Hopefully someone will enjoy it.

If you do buy it, please make a scan of the Medico pipe brochure included. It would be cool to have that as a computer desktop.