PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just picked this fellow up. There seem to be quite a few of these pipes floating around right now. The condition of them seems to be getting a lot better while the prices for the late 1890s specimens seems to be holding steady verses the insane prices being asked for the longer stemmed versions from the 1870s. I have seen fools pay up to $400 for the 12" stemmed pipes and I still don't get it. I jokingly said to my colleague that I would sell you as many of those at that price that you might want. Anyway enjoy the pictures and have a fun Sunday as I am about to do!
photo_02_zpsexwtt3m8.jpg

photo_03_zpsnppa5agp.jpg

photo_01_zpse8j2czpl.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Does the little "leg" have a purpose? What does it do?"
I have seen antique clay pipes with a similar feature. My guess would be that, like them, this pipe could be held there between the fingertips to shield them from the heat of the bowl. What say you, condorlover1?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Very nice pipe ! The stem is interesting. I would assume it's bone, but the patina looks more like ivory ? Almost looks like I can see Dentine swirls.

Does it looks like the stem has a very delicate pattern of lines ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The "leg" on clay pipes served to strengthen the junction between bowl and shank. On briars, it is simply there as an homage to their clay ancestry.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a real fondness for cuttys and look forward to adding more to my collection. I have two briar already and one meer on the way.

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
@condorlover1 I'm going to have Meerschaum Depot make me a cutty meer like the one you showed my at JR Cigars last weekend. :)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
kw, here is a prototype I'm trying to destroy that my dear friend Simon sent me.I will post how it goes...
u3P0CE4.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Weezell is taking the pipe on an extended 'test drive' to see if the meerschaum will color up the right way. We all know that Condor will turn these pipes black eventually with enough effort. My friend Dave tends to vary his tobacco so hopefully this pipe will turn an interesting hue of brown. The last time we talked about a week ago it had started to color on the stem. I actually had dinner with the owner of Meerschaum Depot after the NY (Newark) Pipe Show and I also had a lovely time chatting with you Mr. Williams at J&R and you made me so happy when you told me you smoke SToP brands of pipe tobacco. How's the bike doing in this horrible snow?

Jan 10, 2014
huntertrw & condorlover1 are correct about the cylindrical extension at the foot of a pipe bowl. It is added to prevent finger burns. It is called a "beard." They were originally added to clay pipes because clay mercilessly transmits heat.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I love seeing these old soldiers still in service, if treated with some modicum of care, our pipes can still be in use long after we are gone.

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
@condorlover1 My bike is on the garage, waiting for decent weather and no road salt or pot holes. :-

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
Simon, any word on the meerschaum cutty pipes? I see no sign of them on the Meerschaum Depot website.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Apparently Ramazan should have a batch ready in time for the Chicago Pipe Show. If you PM me I'll send you his email address as he has four of my ancient specimens as a pattern to work from so apart from the one Weezell is road testing I have no other updates.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Coloring so far on the prototype:

GQkDXu0.jpg

vIzzsJp.jpg

I will say this is a great smoker. I've put ropes,plugs, and flakes thru it and it smokes like a champ...

Status
Not open for further replies.