PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Odd tobacco. Shag cut, like everything from K und K, exceedingly high quality. But the topping is incredibly odd.
Packs effortlessly and needs no false light. Immediately, the smoker is greeted by a blast of clove--very, very similar to a kretek. As smoked, I'd swear this had a rose flavoring. The Virginia used is wonderful, and the tobacco itself doesn't bite at all, but there is a definite perception of heat in that it is very "tingly" on the mouth. Like effervescence, if that makes sense.
I doubt whether I'd repurchase, but it has a very pleasant aftertaste, particularly with coffee. Dry pipe, fine ash.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tried a tin, and I think you nailed it on the flavors and sensations.

I didn't care for it all that much. And like you, I don't think I'll buy anymore.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
OK OK this tobacco has an almost cinnamon like top to it, but it is really just a hint. I also think the base tobacco underneath is great.
I have to give McConnell credit for producing some of the most unique tobaccos today, many of which are among my favorites:
Folded Flake

The Glen Piper

Scottish Flake

Mature
I will give them a pass on this one.
stanwell-14-600x448.jpg

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
You've got me interested! I like cloves and had an uncle that used to smoke clove cigarettes I loved the way they smelled. I'll have to add this to the to try list.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I agree that McConnells is a brand I like, but should point out that the brand is made by Messrs. Kohlhase und Kopp. I say this not to be obnoxious, but to say that K and K tobaccos almost always ring my bell. In a world dominated by danish homogenization, they provide wonderful variance. Astleys No. 44 in particular is superlative.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Right, silly me.
Which part did you say not to be obnoxious, messrs, or und?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As a kretek enjoyer (Djarum Super), this piques my interest (see recent post on Bosun cut plug).. may have to check it out.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
but to say that K and K tobaccos almost always ring my bell
Same here, I've yet to try a K&K non-aro that I didn't like (and most I love). One of the best blenders out there.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
What a coincidence having two reviews of clove scented tobacco in the same day! (I see the review of Bosun Cut Plug has similar descriptions.)
Both of these pique my interest, as I'm a fan of cloves, though I know many others aren't.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Smoking it for the 1st time right now.

The OP really nailed it. Not much else I can add.

One thing I thought was funny though..

Here's the backside label:

sCeR35j.jpg

Dark brown?

Cut plug?
It's some of the lightest brown ribbon I've seen in a good while.
kZ1mqVy.jpg

As a mostly Virginia smoker that rarely goes for aromatics, it's a nice change of pace. Not TOO overpowering with the sweetness. Honestly the flavor reminds me of some vapors I've been around.

The big positive I'm noticing is the lack of tongue bite..and I'm salivating like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.