PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Via Tad Gage on Facebook. McClellands supply of Syrian is now gone.

Good luck stocking up while you can. I will miss 3 Oaks Syrian and Samovar!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Thanks for the update.
I just grabbed 10x tins of 3 Oaks Syrian to round out my cellar. Last week I placed a similar order for Syrian Star.

Jun 27, 2016
Wow. Despite what actually ends up happening with the FDA, this was not really a variable in terms of certain blends disappearing in the near future. :puffy:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Meanwhile the Syrian people have lost a lot more than a contribution to the tobacco industry... not trying to stir anything up, just a bigger picture reminder (for me) to be grateful I live in relative peace.
Isaac

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Syrian Latakia does not exist because their government banned the cultivation of the woods used to cure the particular Oriental leaf. It has nothing to do with the recent unrest.

I'm surprised McClelland's supply lasted as long as it did. They sure have put it to good use.

Mike S.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Mike, yeah that rings a bell, I had forgotten the details though. Regardless I still feel for the people...
Does this leave Macbarens as the last reserve of the leaf?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Bummer. This came a few months earlier than I planned for. Anyone know where I can score a few more tins of Samovar?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Damn that really sucks. I've got some 3 Oaks Syrian in my cellar and a few others but it will never be enough.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
3 Oaks Syrian was my extreme favorite for a while... I think I have a tin or 3 maybe. And Samovar, one open and one "back". Lovely bakkies each. And god save the Syrian refugees in deference to mortonbriar's perspective which I also share. I saw a news thing thing this morning on courageous and heroic Greek fishermen from the main town on the Greek Island of Lesbos who gave up their incomes and time to rescue thousands of Syrian refugees hopelessly adrift on the Aegean... and then I guess this week suffered a freak winter storm that severely damaged their boats. The thought of Cyprian latakia, Macedonian bakkies and briar, and several extremely talented Greek pipe makers made me feel the world a smaller place of the need for human unity. Sorry to ramble... I can't get this Greek fishing boat with stuffed 20 some Syrian children just pulled from a dangerous Mediterranean image out of my head.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
What Syrian refugees have to do with Syrian tobacco that hasn't been produced in a decade is beyond me at this point.
Anyway, don't shy away from cellaring latakia. If stored properly, they last a good long number of decades. The problem is when they aren't stored correctly.
I've opened many 10+ and 20+ year old tins with latakia and have only ever run into 1 that has gone flat. And I attribute it to the previous owner not controlling the storage temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.