Country Squire Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
I was just about to pop open this tin, and then I thought I would check the date underneath, it will be 10 years old in May 2022...I know MY palate has NO chance of establishing the difference between a 9.5 year old blend and a 10 year old blend but it seems unnecessarily eager to pop it before May, now that I have checked the date.

I have never tried this blend (although have always rated McClelland oriental blends high in general) and only have the one tin. I wondered what people have to say about it who are familiar?

In the meantime, I will go find something else to pop open.

Isaac.

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
And if a Smyrna gets an attitude, pop it like it hot, pop it like its hot....

OK, yeah I will.

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
Smyrna is what is flavored to make latakia and is much better without the processing, I love it and Yenidje straight. There should be a Smyrna leaf in that tin, and blended with McClellands Virginias makes it even more amazing.
Yes, there is a cute little whole leaf in there...about an inch long or so.

I enjoyed the first bowl well enough, although it is not an automatic favourite. I took a bush walk with the kids and the bowl got hotter than it should have. When I stopped to sit and smoke it was a creamier flavour, next bowl will be sitting down.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
38.0565° N, 83.9433° W
Yes, there is a cute little whole leaf in there...about an inch long or so.

I enjoyed the first bowl well enough, although it is not an automatic favourite. I took a bush walk with the kids and the bowl got hotter than it should have. When I stopped to sit and smoke it was a creamier flavour, next bowl will be sitting down.
Most of their offerings need to air a bit to fully enjoy them.

lochinvar

Preferred Member
Oct 22, 2013
Smyrna and Drama were my two favorites of the Grand Oriental line. I usually smoke them in my flake pipes, deep and narrow. Enjoy

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
A couple of bowls smoked today, and I both gave them some breathing room and sat down to smoke. Bowl #2 was nice enough, and bowl #3 was very tasty, maybe more 'spice' than 'sour' than I would usually pick up from oriental blends. The creamy virginia was a good accompaniment.

I will smoke through the rest of the tin (well, maybe I will put a pinch aside for @Ahi Ka ) before I smoke anything else, I find this a good way to appreciate something new...ironic/bittersweet in this case, since I will no doubt never smoke this blend again once the tin is gone.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
I have been smoking three or so bowls a day and it is a really pleasant blend. I do kind of like that it is a finite experience that ends with this tin, makes for an appreciated smoke.
I tried most of the grand orientals I think, and this is the only one that I did not blend with more virginia.