PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Now I can commiserate with some of my other pipers. I was initially not too concerned with McClelland's closing as I didn't really smoke much of their catalog. As it turns out one of my favorites, Gourmet English from IRC is actually made by McClelland and as such is going away also. If you have not had the opportunity to try it...DON'T, I don't get paid again until next Friday :)

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Just placed my order for 10 tins. I was holding off because being in Illinois, I have to pay 28.25% tobacco sin and sales tax and was going to get my cousin in Indiana to buy it for me. Oh well, done deal now.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
You've got enemies of the leaf out scavenging for any mention of McClelland and picking them up. And there is no doubt they are lurking here, too.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
woopigpiper, the dude is offline and long gone. I was hoping to keep this one a secret until I made my arrangements tax free.

For the record, and before there is a run on all IRC blends, this is the only one they made for them.

I was going thru my tins this weekend and recognized the packaging on the one tin I already had, so I called them up to ask.

Sure enough....

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
A naive good Samaritan? A troll? An Iwan Ries shill? Whatever, thanks for the tip. I'm off to pick up a few tins, but I will not clean them out. I hope it all really does go to people who will smoke it. Maybe without the McC label and name recognition it won't be too much of a panic buy.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Well, they sure cleaned out Nording, Butera, McCranie's and Ashton McClelland blends in record time. The thing with Gourmet English is it doesn't say McClelland anywhere on the label, but I called them and verified my suspicion personally.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
25 guys on tobacco reviews dot com give it a 3.7 rating.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
There are still a few Nordings around, but mostly the aros.
I wonder if the Gourmet English is the same as other house blends McC made, such as Lord Baltimore and Wellingborough. They all sound very similar.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Never had those but smoked my first tin of Gourmet English years ago and it is something special. Very well balanced, latakia more subdued and virginias more out front where they belong IMO.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
The reviews are almost universally good. Just went for 11 tins to get the free shipping, and so far it seems they have plenty (allowing me to add 100 to my cart).

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Bought a few tins to give this one a try. Worth a try eventhough I won’t be able to find more if I like it. Lol.
Hate to say it, but had I not seen this thread, I wouldn’t have known about this blend.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Thank you for the heads up btp79, it sounds like a nice blend. To be fair, if it happens to be sold out by Friday I will sell you a few tins for what I paid. Just shoot me a PM.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
This one's a sleeper blend for sure. One of my favorite English blends back when I smoked English.... I'm going to have to go dig up a tin now.

Status
Not open for further replies.