PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Only dud so far for me is a 50g tin of Grey Haven's. I'm glad I didn't buy more... not my cup of tea.

40th, Deep Hollow, and FMC are all open and being enjoyed now.

Virginia Woods, Dark Star, and Cajun Black will have to wait awhile

I've got multiples of all of those, but thats it in terms of what I'll have to try from McC going forward.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Their closing definitely gives creedance to the logic of cellaring tobacco now, while brands are still available and affordable.
I remember when we first saw the state of Wisconsin I believe make it illegal to ship tobacco into their state from outside. My state of Florida had instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco even before that happened. I remember the discussions about how things like that were just outliers and the pipe tobacco industry was just fine. This was back in 2012.
Since that time, prices have gone up quite a bit on the blends I bought. 2 of my favorites were discontinued. There are shortages of all my favorite flakes. McClelland has now gone out of business. The FDA is breathing down the necks of the pipe tobacco producers. People are cellaring and flipping at interesting rates. The tobacco apocalypse that was viewed as just a bunch of old pipe guys being paranoid has now come full circle. I am thankful I finished my cellar in 2013, people who are trying to build their cellars now are up against the clock in my opinion. I wouldn't want to have to chase my favorites in this climate. If you are serious about building your cellar now, then I would recommend putting all your resources into tobacco and forget about buying pipes until you complete your cellars. As said above, it will never be cheaper and your favorites are definitely on the chopping block more than you might think.

Oct 7, 2016
Harris, I believe tobacco can still be shipped into Wisconsin. You must be thinking of Washington state.
I was told by a source over a year ago that if I liked McClelland products, I should stock up. I was getting back into pipes after a 15 year break. I believed the source. Anyone who knows Mary and Mike knows that they wouldn't sell the company. The only options were to retire or die with their boots on. I took the advice.
There will be a wave of flipping. But collectibles are very predictable. The next down turn will find a lot of McClelland and other tobacco in weak hands. Prices can go down just as fast as they go up.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Maybe other tobbacos might go down in value or stay steady in price. I can not see McClelland tins being flipped anytime soon! The people who have huge stocks bought to smoke them and if they have extra tins they will be sold for what the market brings or they may trade for other hard to get tins. I can see $100 tins of blackwoods and darkstar. Within few years. On our own board castle Tudors and Balkan Beauties just went for $40 and extra shipping. So glad I have enough without worrying and paying arm and leg. Dunhill is next to be wiped out if you have any favs this is time to put some away.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
oldgeezer, I knew it was a state that started with a W. I was close. It will be very interesting when the flippers need to pay their rent or their credit card bills. Maybe there will be a glut in the market lowering prices.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No rent or credit cards here, so most of my cellar will get turned into happy smoke or given as gifts.
img_20171225_011939-337x600.jpg

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
English blends will not fetch high prices as will Va and Vaper tins. There are good english blends out there but not that many can duplicate Mike's VA blends.

Oct 7, 2016
Harris, as Warren Buffet said, when the tide goes out you see who went swimming without a suit. The people who frequent this board are likely not flippers, but if you browse around venues like Reddit, there are plenty out there.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It would be nice if we can keep this thread centered on our appreciation of Mike and Mary and McClelland Tobaccos.
There are already other threads in progress that cater wild-assed speculation, fear-mongering, obsessive-compulsive disorders, self-destructive spending, self-righteous vindication and hoarding for the end-times.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don’t see there being tons of flippers. Of course, there’ll always be some. For it to really be worthwhile, someone would need to have purchased say, $25,000 to make it worthwhile. Obviously, they’d need to have $25,000 sitting around they could afford to sit on the shelf for 2 to 5 years. Therein lies the problem. Most people with that kind of available cash simply aren’t going to invest the money so they can sell the tobacco at 3 to 5x in a few years and then have the joy of packing up one or two tins at a time and heading to the post office with their arms full of boxes.
And what happens if someone does take that path and all internet tobacco sales are banned 12 months from now? Yes, there are still other avenues but the difficulty and effort goes up and the profit margin diminishes. Sure, I think you’ll continuously see McClelland stuff for sale but not in large volumes.
What I would think will be a bigger problem is the impact of this glut of buying on the big internet stores over the next few months. A number of people who may normally buy monthly will have spent their tobacco budget for several months. I guess the shipping and phone people will have to paint walls in the building to stay busy. I would think it will also affect pipe sales. Bottom line, look for some nice discounts on tobacco and pipes in the next few months when the big stores try to stimulate sales.And when credit card bills must be paid, look for some short term dumping by those that were overly optimistic and become cash strapped.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
oldgeezer, I checked out reddit the other day and it reminded me of the old alt.pipes news groups the way it is set up. I was there for about 5 minutes then left shaking my head. I prefer our little piece of pipe heaven much better.
There is no doubt that the McClellend virginia's were unique. Unfortunately for me they used mostly red virginia's in many of their blends. I am thankful they used Lemons in their Butera Dark Stoved. That I can smoke all day and never a nip on the tongue. If I could have smoked the reds I am sure I would have a hundred pounds worth in my cellar.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I'm sad to hear this news, as McClelland blends have been my favorites during this first year and a half of sampling different tobaccos. On the other hand, I hope the McNiels enjoy a happy retirement!

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I did not buy into the rumors until I saw this post and Jon David spoke about it on CSR. Now I believe it, sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.