PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just today received a package of twelve McClelland blends (all Va or VaPer) and all have the six digit code ending in 16 telling me they were tinned in 2016, so far so good.
The tin of Tawny Flake however is stamped 710306! Does this mean I have just bought a tin from the year 2006? There is no ambiguity about the stamp, not blurred or anything, it is as clear as those on the other tins.
Is this a common experience or is perhaps Tawny Flake a slow seller?
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm quite shocked that you've never heard of it Dan. On closer inspection I see the minute flakes (the smallest I ever saw) are studded with tiny crystals so perhaps the 2006 date is correct after all.
"Little, elegant flue-cured Virginia flakes, redolent with sun-dappled sweetness, and pleasantly tangy. This skillfully blended tobacco, mellowed with Blakeney's exclusive toasting process, fills the pipe with pleasure.
Notes: McClelland introduced their Blakeney's Best line at the 21st CORPS (Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers) Pipe Show in Richmond, Virginia. The 50g tin was released to the public in late 2005."

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2425/mcclelland-tawny-flake
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well I'm on to my second bowl of Tawny Flake now and can highly recommend it. It is somewhat mild to medium in strength and taste but really is quite delightful.
However I now have to wonder if it is so nice due to the 11 years of ageing or if it actually tastes like this fresh :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The basic flavor profile would be there, but some of the edges come off with ten years in the tin. McC virginias mellow out some but they don't seem to lose anything (where some of the german virginias just flatten out to total placid unrecognizeability imho). I think you'd recognize a new tin as the same product, but you'd find it just a little punchier.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
And I think a lot of these McClelland flakes get kind of forgotten about because there are just so many close variant. I'm not sure if I could tell you Tawny Flake from Brindle Flake from Boston 1776 from Aurora. I think head-to-head out of the tin I'd find differences, but if you gave me a blind sample I think I could tell you it was a McClelland virginia as opposed to a Gawith, but that might be about all.
You got a tin of Red and Black in that order, Mawn? That's special stuff.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Tobaccoreviews lists 32 different McClelland Straight Virginias with at least 10 reviews. Tawny Flake ranked 29 of 32.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sasquatch, thanks for your input. My batch of 12 McClelland blends are proving to be very interesting smokes considering I am a Brit, some better than others but of course it is very early days...some I haven't even tried yet. That said I just had a bowl of 2015 Virginia Perique Flake and that was very tasty indeed!
"I think head-to-head out of the tin I'd find differences, but if you gave me a blind sample I think I could tell you it was a McClelland virginia as opposed to a Gawith, but that might be about all."
I reckon I could spot a McClelland blend, of any type in a blind smoke against any other competitor simply due to the Heinz ketchup stench aroma that they give off. Thankfully, once dried correctly and rubbed out it barely transfers into the smoke itself.
Jmatt, yes, Tawny Flake isn't overly popular on Tobaccoreviews.com but look how few reviewers there are for the blend. At least two forum members who love McClelland blends have never even heard of Tawny Flake!
Best I get a review up sharpish :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.