PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
It's funny that McClelland was just mentioned in another post, because after my first (wonderful) experience with their Frog Morton Original I have been searching their selection of tobaccos looking for new, interesting things to try.
Scottish Woods, in particular, stood out to me. I've scoured over the reviews on tobaccoreviews and I've become even more intrigued. The tobacco contains latakia, orientals, and virginias. As a rookie, I'm not sure how to even categorize this tobacco, nonetheless know what kind of flavor I'm in for.
Grey Havens also caught my eye as I have recently been getting into the world of virginias and va/pers.
Both have been described as light on nic, which is a positive for me as I've found myself quite sensitive to the stuff. Aside from this though, I'd like to know if any of you have tried either of these tobaccos and if so, could you offer up your thoughts on them?

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I currently have a tin of Grey Havens open right now. If I remember correctly it is a va/per with a little Burley thrown in as well. It is on the light side as far as flavors go, but I think that it would be a nice intro in the va/per family. You can definately taste the perique but is is very light and a background flavor. I seem to reach for it when I am working because I tend to puff too hard and this tobacco doesn't overwhelm in that situation. Also, if I remember right it seems to behave better when it is on the dry side, almost crispy. Hope this helps a little.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I've opened a 2001 tin of Grey Havens last weekend and have been smoking the weed over the past few days. What can I say? I'd like to like it ... being a 12 year old Virginia blend and all, but really ... I don't care for it.
The main word I'd use to describe the blend is bland (no pun intended). I'm puffing, I see the smoke wafting away, and I taste basically nothing. Only some acidity in the mouth remains, much like eating a pineapple. I'm surprised that even at that age the blend doesn't go anywhere at all. Not even a little sweetness from the VAs?
I think I'll throw out the last half of the tin and move on to something more tasty. My rating: 1/10

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
homeatsea, I don't know what else you've tried, but Cup O Joes #5 is a good Virginia, as is Orlik Golden Sliced, and

McClelland's Red Virginia Cake bulk. The McClellands is good on its own and "plays well with others," if you want

to mix it with a little Burley, Cavendish, Turkish and/or blending Latakia.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Grey Havens has that cavendish treatment that is used in the FM series. I find it difficult to smoke but when it's a bit dry it isn't bad. If you like it you might try the stave aged blend, It's pretty good. McClelland did a pre-reintroduction of Scottish Woods in 2004 for the NASPC show. I managed to snag a few tins. I enjoy it a lot. I haven't bought any of the latest reincarnation but I would imagine it's much as the 2004 blend is. So darn many blends being brought out by McClelland over the last six years, it kind of gets overwhelming...in a good way of course.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I smoked a tin of Grey Havens a few years ago. I can second what others have said, I found it to be a tad light, maybe a little bland and better aged and somewhat dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.