PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
We'll there you have it, "IF" they continue producing their blends they will never be the same with that foreign leaf. Let the run on McClelland blends continue.
Let the doom and gloom continue then. LOL

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Mike is a true master blender. I would love to try his foreign leaf blends. With that said the possibility of that is very slim.
Its alarming none of the other major blenders have issue with the leaf quality, makes you wonder about their practices and level of quality!!!
Panic Buying is justified in this case! Buy, Buy, Buy...

wooooo

Lurker
Feb 2, 2017
You are jumping to conclusions and you are making things up...and, in the end, you could end up being correct. LOL
I assure you I am not jumping to conclusions nor am I making things up. I asked someone I trust that has direct contact with McClleland. My word may not be good enough for you but the person's word that owns my local B&M is good enough for me. I really do hope he is wrong. However, when the man turns away my money for something he's ordered for me a hundred times..that speaks volumes.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
My word may not be good enough for you but the person's word that owns my local B&M is good enough for me. I really do hope he is wrong. However, when the man turns away my money for something he's ordered for me a hundred times..that speaks volumes.
No, your word is good enough. I'm sure your tobacconist is unable to buy anything McClelland at the moment, but that does not mean that the McNeils are selling or retiring (though it sure does not look good at the moment).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Its alarming none of the other major blenders have issue with the leaf quality, makes you wonder about their practices and level of quality!!!
No it doesn't. Other blenders have different flavor profiles that they're looking to create and they're finding the leaf they need for that.
You guys are having way too much fun with this panic. Obviously you're not serious enough about it. :)
As to the letter ray47 posted, it's still third party reporting, which may be accurate or not. Since the story says that McClelland will make a statement regarding their plans, we'll have an opportunity to find out.
Think of this as an opportunity to broaden your horizons and discover new blends, some that taste like mustard and pickle relish, rather than ketchup.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
No, your word is good enough. I'm sure your tobacconist is unable to buy anything McClelland at the moment, but that does not mean that the McNeils are selling or retiring
Are you saying I should not eat crow just yet? You said few posts back they will not last six months! WTF
Anyways, I wish the Mc Neils the best but if they can not produce, blackwoods, dark star, castle tudor, balkan beauty pebblecut, beacon extra, etc. than why stay open! Seems like the leaf issue is making it easier for them to walk away. They have spend 4 decades doing what they like so it must not be easy on them.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
No it doesn't. Other blenders have different flavor profiles that they're looking to create and they're finding the leaf they need for that.
You guys are having way too much fun with this panic. Obviously you're not serious enough about it. :)
The other blenders flavor profile are bland, like my work cafeteria food! Flat Soda!

You know we love a good drama in pipe community, nothing like a good doom and gloom to justify more buying! haha

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You guys are having way too much fun with this panic."
Not so much this side of the pond Jesse where we're pretty much out of the loop and are solely dependent on forums for our information.
Of course most (all?) US blends are unavailable for sale over here so we have to make alternative arrangements but when it come to availability or otherwise we have to find the info wherever we can.....and that includes reading about the possibility of certain manufacturers closing.
I truly wish it wasn't so but there we are.
Regards,
Jay.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The other blenders flavor profile are bland
There are a multitude of other blends that are anything but bland. I admit I’m not a C&D fan but Pease has numerous blends that are excellent. If you’re totally addicted to the ketchup vinegar smell and the McClelland red Va tang, you may have trouble reproducing that elsewhere.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I guess my practical side thinks:
1. It would be great to know what leaf/criteria they use.

2. Then to figure out how to do that domestically.

3. Then to see if they will pass on their blending knowledge to someone else.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
My skeptical side says this is all rumor mongering. My easily frightened side just moved up to 5 minutes ago a Navy Cavendish cellar stocking previously scheduled for the summer. I have to say a relatively new interest in burley blends is making me feel a lot better about my Virginia-heavy cellar.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I had basically nothing put aside as of a week ago.

Having just come back to pipe smoking and discovered Virginias are really what I enjoy most, I've purchased 15 tins or so of McC this week, to at least have something to hold onto.

I'm sad that I can't take my time and try a bunch of different options to really narrow it down the way I would have liked to...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's still a wide world of great tobaccos out there. Buy what McClelland you can, then go exploring. Quickly. Before every product for which they supplied components vanishes literally in a puff of smoke. Run along!

Dec 24, 2012
This is terrifble news, if true. You guys depress the shit out of me, lol.
On the other hand, I do have at least one tin of every year of Christmas Cheer from 1992 to 2017. One wonders what a complete set of might be worth down the road. It doesn't matter because I intend to smoke them at some point.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I can see your Christmas Cheer collection on Pipestud's site selling for 15grand 10 years from now. A grand a tin is a very reasonable number don't ya think?
By the way, I need to thank you for your turning me on to the Klondike Gold and forcing me to cellar it fast and deep. Who knew it would get discontinued that quickly.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
See? There are plenty of other fantastic blends besides the McClellands products! There's Klondike Gold!
Oh...wait...
Okay, there's...Motzek Strang!
Uhhhhh...
There's McCrainie's Red Flake and Red Ribbon!
Uhhhhh...merde...
There's Bohemian Scandal!
Shit! Shit! Shit!
There's...there's...
Oh, forget it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I just ordered 4 tins of Blackwoods Flake.

While I was hemming and hawing about what else to put in the shopping charts, I noticed that the number of tins available dropped from 56 to 26. Now there are just 14 left.

Status
Not open for further replies.