PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh gkr1, Harris bet me $500 that I couldn't get you to eat crow. So, I promised everyone in this thread $5 if they'd help me. Feel the sting...

keeping-the-con-films-photo-u1

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I've begun plucking them feathers off already! $500 is in your grasp! Retiring I understand, closing doors is just travesty!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
This thread is full of crisis actors and Lane Ltd. bots operating out of a basement in a Virginia tobacco farm! I haven't had this much fun since pizzagate.

drlpipe

Lurker
Jan 6, 2012
Mike said he could not not find reds that meet his standard to continue to make 5100. You are creating "fake news" by suggesting that he is retiring because he cant find reds for any of his blends...that other blenders will not be able to make those blends right because they will also have problems sourcing reds (or because they are incompetent)...and that because your tobacconist is unable to order more McClelland now, he will never, ever be able to order those blends again.
Except he didn't suggest he's retiring over lack of good reds at all. His whole premise for thinking they are shutting down is based on information from his tobacconist, who he trusts. He went on to say that if this happens and someone else bought the recipes, he can't trust they'd get it right and said blends would be different.
I'd fully agree with him. Of course there is and will be red Virginia available, and I'm sure plenty of it is good enough to make good pipe blends. But maybe it's not good enough for Mike. GLP/C&D fans might take offense, but comparing their red VA blends to McClelland's imo is like comparing Budweiser to a craft ale... woefully inferior, but some people like it. :-P
Beyond that, with McClelland VA, like with Samuel Gawith, a lot of it comes down to the processing of the leaf. No one does it like McClelland, and if someone like C&D, MacBaren, or STG bought the rights to the blends there is no way they'd stay the same.
It's possible, if they do retire, that it was coming sooner or later anyway and the issues sourcing the leaf THEY want just accelerated that decision. Who knows. Even if they do close up, they may never say anything publicly. That's not "fake news" it's just conjecture like everything else in these threads.

GLP/C&D fans might take offense, but comparing their red VA blends to McClelland's imo is like comparing Budweiser to a craft ale... woefully inferior, but some people like it.

I think the problem, with C&D Virginias is whomever they are using to do the flue cure and fermenting. Just my opinion, but it's just awful. When I air cure my homegrown Virginias it tastes exactly the same as what C&D calls their flue cured... with one exception, and that is their bulk Virginia Flake. It still has that a little of the air cured flavor, but at least the rest of the process does something to it that makes it very palatable.
Yeh, I think that anyone suggesting that Greg or C&D take over McClelland's recipe is merely joking. Unless one of the two of them gets someone to handle the process from field to tin, and can do it correctly. Just looking for a farmer who cures their tobacco well, probably is just setting yourself up for the same crap that Mike and Mary ran into. But, I don't think another company buying a blend recipe would ever go over well for anyone. They just need to create something new, maybe more of a tribute to McClellands instead of an exact copy.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
GLP/C&D fans might take offense, but comparing their red VA blends to McClelland's imo is like comparing Budweiser to a craft ale... woefully inferior, but some people like it.
Right On!

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Just here to throw more fuel on the fire, but I stopped in a B&M today and they said McC officially is done, and that they asked how much they could purchase and that there was none left at the warehouse to get.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I bought all the Dark Star and FM Cellar they had.

Jun 27, 2016
Then it's a good thing that I didn't place my order with SP for more 40th last night...
...before doubling it! =D

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's possible, if they do retire, that it was coming sooner or later anyway and the issues sourcing the leaf THEY want just accelerated that decision. Who knows. Even if they do close up, they may never say anything publicly. That's not "fake news" it's just conjecture like everything else in these threads."
To my ears this sounds the most likely scenario.....sad, so very sad.
Regards,
Jay.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
All this jawing' about MC is in the absence of any official information. I think this is the third long thread about this, and its as useless as tits on a bull! What possible interest can rumor mongering have to occasion a post count of 300? I ignored this thread for about a week and finally tonight decided to read it just in case. Wrong idea! Nothing of any substance, once again.
Now y'all are free to post on and on about nothing, but why in the world would you want to?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When you have people from more than 8 different B&M’s say they were told they wouldn’t be able to order any more Mcclelland product, it’s a bit more than rumor I think. No, it isn’t the smoking gun but people have been sent to prison with less evidence presented.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
This just posted on another forum:
Re: Rumor

I've actually got pretty big news here in regard to these rumors everyone has been talking about...
I just called McClelland's today and, believe it or not, spoke to Mary. I explained to her I was a longtime pipe smoker and fan of their blends, and very tastefully asked if she wouldn't mind telling me if they were closing or not.
She was incredibly sweet and explained the situation. I can't do it full justice since it involves specifics about the tobacco industry, farming, etc. that go back many years, but essentially she says she hopes they don't close, but only time will tell.
Basically, from what I understood, the company is not able to find the quality of leaf they want in the states (we all know about the red virginia issue), but if they go to a source outside the country then they face all the regulations with the FDA.
So it looks like the question of whether or not they're closing is still unclear, even after asking Mary herself, because the situation is complicated.
I also asked Mary if it was okay if I posted this here and she said yes. She added they will be sending out a proper announcement soon.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
We'll there you have it, "IF" they continue producing their blends they will never be the same with that foreign leaf. Let the run on McClelland blends continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.