PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Recently I discovered in my stash some McClelland 2025, in a jar, around 15 years old. Damn, this smoke is maybe the closest to Nirvana that I've yet experienced in decades of smoking. Woof.
Is anyone out there attempting to reproduce this blend, i.e. to make an "equivalent". ??
Enjoy it and treasure each moment. When it's gone, it's gone.
Nobody is going to reproduce any McClelland blend. If there's an "equivalent" it won't be close because the components won't be close and Mike McNeil won't be overseeing production.

We can always start another pointless and ignorant McClelland thread about what meanies the McClellands were and how selfish they were not to sell their recipes, 'cause all you need is a recipe and any idjit can do it.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Absolutely! Elvis will host the reopening along with Xantheuous special emissary from Mars.
He’ll be hosting this live from his cactus & succulent shop in Alpine, TX.
That’s where I saw him 8 months ago. Off the grid, goes by Darryl, his real hair is actually an afro. The Colonel made him conk it back then.
He grows lovely San Pedro cactus worthy of a Woodstock redux.
The emissary is one he picked up out by the Marfa Lights.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not overly concerned about blends disappearing because anything one blender has done before shouldn't be terribly difficult for other blenders to figure out, and even if they never arrive at the same end point whatever they do produce will be equally special.

Jun 23, 2019
To my pallete, African/Brazilian leaves age *really* well. My adversion to too much nicotine make them harder to smoke fresh, but after a couple of years the flavors really round out for me.

McC's bulks are fantastic, I've always tried to trumpet their English blends over their red virginia offerings. Ken Byron probably the closet thing to the McNiel's process right now. Very unique, very distinct processing; hints of ketchup but Ken's got his own flavor profiles.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Recently I discovered in my stash some McClelland 2025, in a jar, around 15 years old. Damn, this smoke is maybe the closest to Nirvana that I've yet experienced in decades of smoking. Woof.
Is anyone out there attempting to reproduce this blend, i.e. to make an "equivalent". ??
I think a number of blending houses have tried to make an “equivalent” blend to the seminal Virginia blends from McClelland, but nothing really comes close to capturing certain aspects of those blends. The tobaccos McClelland used as well as the way they processed those tobaccos was totally unique.

I think the best you can do these days is to find blends that are being made with similar components (well-aged red Virginias). The only ones I’ve had that come close are Sutliff’s yearly Cringle Flake releases.
My advice: move on to other unique and wonderful blends, and enjoy the McClelland you have left.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not overly concerned about blends disappearing because anything one blender has done before shouldn't be terribly difficult for other blenders to figure out, and even if they never arrive at the same end point whatever they do produce will be equally special.
I had some correspondence with Greg Pease over this very thing in relation to McClelland, and apparently, many have tried repeatedly to and none have pulled it off. So not so easily.

But maybe it's like breaking the Enigma Machine, keep trying, thousands, or millions of times, and eventually you'll hit it.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Its partly the recipes but also the way they processed the tobacco for maximum fermentation.

Jun 23, 2019
I had some correspondence with Greg Pease over this very thing in relation to McClelland, and apparently, many have tried repeatedly to and none have pulled it off. So not so easily.

But maybe it's like breaking the Enigma Machine, keep trying, thousands, or millions of times, and eventually you'll hit it.

But has anyone tried watered down Heinz? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Carolina Red Flake + Heinz 57 + ??? + time = McClelland?

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I am happy that the op found a little jar of sunshine, and I love to hear about stuff like that.
Otherwise, is there any chance that everybody could shut the fuck up about McClelland?
It was wicked charming the first 45 times we heard everyone’s theories and first person accounts, after that it got a little stale.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc and Merton

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
To my pallete, African/Brazilian leaves age *really* well. My adversion to too much nicotine make them harder to smoke fresh, but after a couple of years the flavors really round out for me.

McC's bulks are fantastic, I've always tried to trumpet their English blends over their red virginia offerings. Ken Byron probably the closet thing to the McNiel's process right now. Very unique, very distinct processing; hints of ketchup but Ken's got his own flavor profiles.
Ken Byron huh…unique processes…huh…

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I am happy that the op found a little jar of sunshine, and I love to hear about stuff like that.
Otherwise, is there any chance that everybody could shut the fuck up about McClelland?
It was wicked charming the first 45 times we heard everyone’s theories and first person accounts, after that it got a little stale.
Nope.
I used to buy McC 2025 in 5lb batches.
Wonderful stuff!!
Aged 19 years.