PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Just had my third bowl of the Old Dark Fired Plug and here's my assessment. Since all I smoke are C&D's, I figured since it was made for them, I'd give it a shot. I regularly smoke the C&D Burley Flake #2 so I'll compare it to that. The flake is lighter, but with more kick, the plug is deeper but with slightly less kick. The flavor of the plug starts out very deep and sweet, but changes as you smoke the bowl down, whereas the flake keeps a consistent flavor throughout. I think many will be tempted to let the plug dry after cutting flakes out of it, I wouldn't though; it's the tar-iness that gives it its deep, nice flavor in my opinion. It gets more tobacco like in flavor as the bowl winds down (some I guess some would call this 'grassiness', but I've never smoked grass before, so I wouldn't know). All in all, I give it two thumbs up. I cut it using a very sharp butcher's knife into thin flakes...the plug is very dense so make sure whatever you use, it's very sharp.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time.

No problem. I guess I should say something about how I loaded the pipe. I don't cut or rub out the flakes I made, I usually tear them in half longways and roll them up, then work them between my finger and thumb a little before loading; in other words, I don't put a lot of effort into prepping flake before loading it. Harder to light, yes, but to me, it keeps the tobacco more like it was meant to be. That said, this is really dense stuff, probably the densest plug I've ever had; it would be hard to "rub it out" anyway.

Reactions: writingraav

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
One of my tins arrived unsealed. First one I've had arrive that way from SP. Tobacco was fine, may have happened in transit, just a PSA for the masses, check your tins before cellaring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdguy

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
I neglected to pick some of this up on the grounds that I should put the funds towards other uses at the moment.

Now that its sold out, I regret that decision. Funny how the mind works ?

Reactions: mrenglish

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
All the lids on mine were tight. Because square tins have been noted to be problematic in the past, I always seal them in Mylar anyway.

Bought 6 and another brick of ODF, I figured 6 would fit nicely in a gallon bag. Sealed them up and cellared.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Didn't smoke any of this for a day, then yesterday early evening I fired up a bowl sitting on my back porch staring at the Blue Ridge mountains with a Budweiser and a couple ounces of Maker's Mark, took me over an hour to finish the bowl, and it was pretty darn relaxing I must say. The deeper flavor from this blend goes well with beer and whiskey.

Reactions: craig61a

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Heard from a few others who had a tin arrive here and then with a lid loose. Went ahead and vacuum sealed the remained of my order to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.