PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nengajou

Lurker
May 12, 2022
Title edited for caps and context.- jpm

Hello pipe community! I’m a pipe smoker for 4 years and follower of this site for some years. Today I finally decided to create my account to get some help :)
One of my favorite blends is the MB Cube Bronze (you know how hard to find this one) and luckily I found it in a store and bought 9 packs of it. The problem is some of them taste as they should but some of them taste horribly bitter (although they are all 2015 made). I’m attaching photos of the tobacco so I wonder if there is like and molding or something unusual on the tobacco. Thanks for your help!CDD6C411-D0AD-4F8B-84D7-EAA3F90637AF.jpegF7E9181D-DA74-431A-B91E-3917C502F10E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

nengajou

Lurker
May 12, 2022
Thanks for the reply. It is interesting that it lost its flavoring while at great moisture level out of pouch. Is there anything that I can do except mixing it with other tobaccos? It tastes bad enough to make me gagging.
If I remember correctly, that one came in an unsealed box in a taped cellophane pouch. Likely just lost some flavoring over the years. I see nothing untoward in those photos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply. It is interesting that it lost its flavoring while at great moisture level out of pouch. Is there anything that I can do except mixing it with other tobaccos? It tastes bad enough to make me gagging.
It could be a change of taste. If not, Hyde Park reminded me a lot of that one.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
If the tobacco is still fit to smoke, you might consider giving it another try in a freshly deep cleaned pipe, or a new cob. The only time I've had a smoke that tasted as terrible as you described, it was because my pipe was getting gross.
If it tastes like hot garbage in a fresh cob, I don't think there is any redeeming it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If the tobacco is still fit to smoke, you might consider giving it another try in a freshly deep cleaned pipe, or a new cob. The only time I've had a smoke that tasted as terrible as you described, it was because my pipe was getting gross.
If it tastes like hot garbage in a fresh cob, I don't think there is any redeeming it.
Yup. Coming from a guy that's too lazy to clean his pipes regularly....they get gross often. Sometimes don't recognize a favorite blend of the pipe is that dirty. Even when only that one blend has been smoked it that pipe.

nengajou

Lurker
May 12, 2022
sadly I do clean my pipes often and going for a deep cleaning and carbon cake cutting monthly. Also tried in a new cob and in a briar :/ Only solution that I found is mixing it with some holger danske and colts

nengajou

Lurker
May 12, 2022
Are you saying that (1) the different packs taste different or that (2) different bowls from the same pack taste different? The analysis would be different I'd think depending on which is true.
Different packs in same pipe unfortunately (1)

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Different packs in same pipe unfortunately (1)
Well, each pack could have come from different batches that vary from each other and/or were stored in different conditions. One thing you could try is to make sure each pack is well mixed. Sometimes, they aren't and you end up smoking mainly one constituent or another. You could even open all the packs and mix them all together. I'd think every bowl will taste the same after that!