Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My experience was living on a warship, if a minesweeper qualifies. And we were on patrol for months running. And I was a worker ant, not an officer, so living was particularly spare. Though it was long hours, hard work, and cramped living to say the least, the actual communing with the ocean on the weather decks, and the perpetually rolling deck had an odd entrancing effect. A few shipmates caught me taking in the scene as the seas were getting rough and the wind was hammering the ship. One big old engiineman rocked back and squinted at me and said, "You like this shit, don't you?" And all three shipmates shook their heads and walked off. And they were right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Happy hour in the Navy was when they passed around airline bottles of brandy after everyone got soaked during underway replenishment, and I went to a few of the non-drinkers and offered to take that sin off their hands, drank a few, and had a good nap. (Underway replenishment is where fuel and supplies are pulleyed across from an oiler. The crew has to provide the in-haul power because a mechanical winch might tear off someone's arm and leg. Occasionally we'd haul in a new crew member in a bosun's chair as well. ) I don't think the brandy was authorized, but when you get into the combat zone, you don't salute much either. ... The fuel comes through a hose pulleyed over, then used to fill a big rubber bladder lashed to the deck with fuel oil. Details too many to explain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.