PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I'm very new to this hobby and have been experimenting with different blends and styles for the last few months. One constant in everything I'm trying is my pipes. I have a handful of briars and cobs, but all of them seem to be very similar in size and shape. All of my pipes seem to have deep narrow bowls as opposed to shallow and wide. I think my limited collection of pipes might be limiting my experience. I've read that some of the blends I'm trying smoke better in shallow wide bowls. I'd like to try matching the blends I try to the pipe I already have as opposed to buying a whole set of different size pipes. Is there a guideline that could help steer me in the right direction in accomplishing this?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The conventional wisdom is that aromatics and latakia blends do better in larger bowls, to let the flavors develop. :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 Jud.
I'll also add that I find shallow and wide is great for Latakia but I like deeper wide bowls for Aromatics.
I typically smoke Virginia's and Flakes in bowls that are .8 or less in diameter and generally smoke Latakia or Aromatic blends in .85 and bigger diameter bowls.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I find that sometimes the rules just don't apply. Most of the time I enjoy aromatics out of a cob best. And I have this huge pot shaped GBD that just makes cube cut ODF sing. Sometimes it is matching the pipe to the blend without reguard to the shape "rule" which makes for a fun adventure IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.