PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

T. M. Peters

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
As a novice smoker trying a new blend can be roulette of emotions. A few times I've had a first impression of a blend that appalled me and invoked knee-jerk thoughts such as "Why do I do this again?" and "How much money have I spent on this hobby now?". My experience with Match Walnut was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, and upon the first exhale I was reminded that tobacco blending is a true artform worthy of respect. The use of the components in this blend remind me of the mulling spice used in a good autumn apple cider wherein every flavor has it's own distinct role that simultaneously complements the roles of every other flavor harmoniously. In this blend, everyone is a star except perhaps the latakia of which the presence is felt but serves mainly to give the sweet spiciness that emerges a smoky edge in a thoughtful and deliberate way. What really impressed me personally was the use of the burleys here. I do enjoy the boldness a good burley blend can provide from time to time, but like others I have always found the flavor to generally be too reminiscent of cigarettes. I was always a bit confused when I would read reviewers like JimInks describe burleys as "nutty" but in this blend I finally see it! I believe it was Russ Oulette who said Maryland's are used to dial back the strength of burleys, here I think the Maryland's round out the cigarette-ish edge of the burley's so that "nuttiness" that has eluded me can shine through. For once I can say I would be missing the burleys were they gone!

Match Walnut is a blend for anyone that loves tobacco and a good spice cake. I'll be sure to have some around to keep me warm this winter. A real blue ribbon blend.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I always liked Walnut when it was readily available almost anywhere. I was going to say that I was going to order the clone you reviewed, but then realized I already have a tub in my nicotine closet. Thanks for the reminder. So many blends, so little time.

Reactions: UncleRasta

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
A lot of blends taste much better a few days after opening the bag or tin.
So much so that I usually try a small bowl upon opening a blend that's new to me, then wait a week before trying a 2nd bowl.

Although I enjoy both Burley and Virginia [my only preference there depends on my mood or the weather] I also enjoy a VaBur or blends that use both leaf types as the base of a blend like Walnut.

I've not tried Match Walnut [sounds good] but if it's to your liking you might also want to try Holiday Match.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I especially enjoy Walnut Match, but I also enjoy the other Sutliff Matches, such as Field and Stream, Rum and Maple, Hines Mixture and Flying Dutchman. Try them, you're like them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PC's Chestnut in their Hearth and Home Midtown series is also a Walnut match that I've enjoyed for years. I think you can still sample these in baggies before you order a tub.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s well known that ground chicory nuts are used to extend coffee. The coffee served even today in New Orleans has chicory added.

One of the blessings I had was growing up there were old timers still living that were the sons of the original Missouri pioneer farmers, and as a child I was as fascinated with their stories as they were glad to find a kid to tell them to.

The Ozarks was not settled by paupers, or the lazy, the timid or the meek.

Rough men bought all the land in Missouri just as soon as the federal government could cheat the Osage Tribes out of it, for $1.25 an acre.

Then later on, and especially after the Civil War, pious, sober, and steady farmers with steel plows and teams bought that land and tilled the bottoms, and one of the crops they raised for home consumption was “long green tobacco”.

The old men said everything ate tobacco and it was very hard to raise.

They had substitutes and extenders for it, and the four I remember were dried corn silks, sage grass, grapevine,,,,,

And blackened dried walnut husks.

I always thought the original Walnut had some dried walnuts husks in it.

They always warned me to never smoke Indian Tobacco, also called Puke Weed.

I saw a sign at a local cafe that Hammons Walnut Hullers of Stockton Missouri was paying $20 a hundred pounds hulled for black walnuts, a record amount.

Back fifty years ago Hammons had to pay $8-12 a hundred. Back then pipe tobacco was a quarter a can or pouch, cigarettes 40 cents a pack, and the old men complained tobacco used to be a dime and cigarettes 15 cents.

Walnuts haven’t kept up with inflation.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
I was iffy about Sutliff after trying a few of their blends - I really loved the flavor of their Edgeworth RR Match but the flavor was just too inconsistent. I tried everything and only occasionally would it have its moments of greatness - when it was on, it was fantastic and would be one of my favorite smokes, unfortunately those moments were not consistent which makes me wish the Lane RR was still available. I saw some other folks say the same thing on TR that I did, so I know it wasn't just me.

Anyway, I just smoked my second bowl of this Walnut match and it's FANTASTIC! I'm in love! Got that nutty burley and a bit of smokey latakia - this stuff is amazing. Although it's a mix of a lot of types of tobacco, the burley and latakia seem to take the lead. It reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what. And the burley has the molasses and cocoa notes I crave. Wow!!! I didn't expect this.

I wanted to make sure of something - are the H&H matches the same as the regular Sutliff matches? From my research that seems to be the case, but wanted to know what others said.