PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of it:
The Pipes&Cigars Match version is a little closer to the original than the Match sold by Milan Tobacconists. Both are a thicker plug cut woody, earthy, nutty, sugary, lightly molasses sweet burley than the original with a slightly brighter Virginia small flake cut. The Virginia in the Matches has the same minor grass and tartly sweet citrus notes as the original. The P&C Match is slightly cinnamon spicier than the original. The Milan version has less cinnamon spice than the other two. The original is a shade more brown sugary and buttery than either Match, though the P&C is slightly deeper in its sweetness than is the Milan, which is a little rougher edged in flavor. All three have about the same amount of nuttiness and molasses. Both Match versions burn a little slower than the original, and the Matches keep a little more consistent flavor to the finish, though the toppings in the original tended to be just a little less obvious at the end. All were mild in strength and taste. All have very mild nic-hits, no bite and leaves hardly any moisture in the bowl. The Matches require more relights. All have a weak after taste, and are all day smokes. I give this three stars, which is a star more than I rated the original Sugar Barrel. The P&C version seems to hold the flavor better, hence the extra half star. Two stars for the Milan match.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a blend I've wondered about for years. It's a definite maybe for my list. The P&C version is a good buy, and you can buy a baggie for around six bucks to see if you'd commit for a tub for about thirty. I've been enjoying the P&C match to Walnut, called Chestnut, for a long time. I have it down to a small jar-full, from a tub, and find its six or seven tobaccos well harmonized for a relaxing smoke, with no obvious flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.