PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burley Guy

Lurker
Oct 18, 2019
Colorado
So, I bought a few ounces of various “match” tobaccos recently, and lit up a bowl yesterday of Carter Hall. Yuk! I smoked it in a Rossi 8611, a Bent Dublin. It was harsh, to say the least. It was a bit moist, and required several relights, to the point I cleaned out the bowl. My tongue suffered the effects of a harsh smoke. So this morning I decided to light up another bowl, but in a tiny Peterson Kapp-Royal. The smoke was great, much to my delight. So, what I believe went wrong with the first bowl, is that I packed it too hard, and kept puffing and got bit. The Peterson, I lightly packed, and avoided tamping other that a couple of times just to settle the ash. Wow, what an amazing difference. While the Match is not quite like the original, it stands up nicely as a good Burley, one that I’ll buy more of. The original had just a hint of Virginia, and if the Match does, I could not detect it, which is fine. I can always add some to suit my taste. If you enjoy Burely, give this stuff a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another vote for Chatham Manor. The whole Midtown series at PC one-ups the blends it matches. I especially like Chestnut matching the long-discontinued Walnut, but any of them has better and less chemical leaf. All are available in tub, but for about a year, you can also sample any of them in a baggie for around seven bucks.

Reactions: JimInks
Oct 7, 2016
I think I read on this forum that Match Carter Hall and Chatham Manor were the same. I smoked a pouch of Chatham Manor a few years back and thought it was better than the Carter Hall I remembered.

Burley Guy

Lurker
Oct 18, 2019
Colorado
Ok, you guys, I just ordered some Chatham Manor. I hold you all personally responsible for your recommendation! LOL. AS I love Burely, I’m sure this will prove to be great. I just finished a bowl of Field and Stream Match. Love it. I smoke some many years ago and really enjoyed it, especially the licorice notes, so I had it with a shot of Sambuca. Nice!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually preferred Carter Hall to Chatham Manor. There was an overly sweet taste I didn't care for.

Reactions: White_Rice

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The Prince Andrew (Prince Albert clone) is not for me. Bought a tub when it first came out and still trying to smoke my way thru it. The Chestnut is good but, I still have the original Walnut and there is no comparison. As far as Carter Hall...I'll stick with Carter Hall...puffy

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think I read on this forum that Match Carter Hall and Chatham Manor were the same. I smoked a pouch of Chatham Manor a few years back and thought it was better than the Carter Hall I remembered.
That is news to me. It may be true but I am somewhat convinced that they use different sources for the base tobacco(s).

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I like both Chatham Manor and Carter Hall and would gladly smoke a bowl of either blend at pretty much any time. However, it's Chatham Manor that has become my go-to burley blend. As to the issue of "why produce a match for a readily-available blend" another factor is that Chatham Manor uses what I perceive to be better leaf, in addition to the fact that Chatham Manor doesn't include any of the preservatives / humectants that are included in OTC blends like Carter Hall. Also, Chatham Manor is actually less expensive than Carter Hall.

So, in summary, Chatham Manor is less expensive than Carter Hall, blended with better quality leaf, and doesn't contain any of the preservatives that can negatively affect the flavor particularly if you smoke a little too hot.

Oct 7, 2016
No. I have tried both. In fact, I am now out of CM but have too many damn pouches of CH because of the Walgreen closings in Georgia. I think that CM is both smoother, has a mildly different sweet component, and is overall the better smoke. And like JIm, I do think that CM is smoother, less rough, and better tasting.
I was speaking of @jiminks thoughts re: Chatham Manor and Carter Hall Match. In one of the print outs I have from another forum, he seems to treat them interchangeably.

Reactions: aquadoc
Status
Not open for further replies.