PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Im thinking about ordering some of the Match burley blends offered by P&C. Specifically, Blue Boar, Bourbon Street and Field and Stream.

Anyone who likes burley blends and tried these, I would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
There are a lot of Burley fans on here. I am surprised no one has responded. Unfortunately, I prefer my burley as a condiment so I won't be of much help to you.

A lot of good information can be obtained by using the search function in the upper right.

Additional information, as well as many thorough reviews can be found by Clicking on the link below.

Good luck in your search.

TobaccoReviews.com: The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet. - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Reactions: whsergent

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Chatham Manor. You should also nab some Angler’s dream. I’m also a big fan of five brothers. And damn near any burley blend CD makes. Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz, and Haunted Bookshop are all good bulk options.

only the first is a match but all are great bulk (or otc) burley based blends.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I just started smoking the Field & Stream yesterday. It's a sweet blend with a hint of licorice. There is an underlying floral taste but you hardly notice it. Nothing like Mixture 79. I really don't detect any room note. One word of caution, smoke it very very slow or it will bite. I've only smoked it in a briar so I don't know how it will do in a cob or meer. I would recommend that you try it to see for yourself.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Since i first posted the thread i got some bourbon street and blue boar. I havent really made up my mind about the blue boar, its sort of like nightcap light without the sort of background "brothy" taste, im really liking the bourbon street though.

Bourbon street reminds me a bit of what i remember of pegasus and i seem to remember a Bob Runowski post that referenced it. Its lighter in nicotene than pegasus and, though it bares its teeth if you smoke too fast, it didnt actually bite when i smoked it.
It has a floral topping that at first seemed cloying almost to the point of disgust, but that has lessened with some airing to being pleasant and distinctive in my experience. Its not the lakeland sort of floral, though i do get reminded of royal george snuff every now and then.

The floral note comes back every now and then even as you get past the half way point of the bowl, but goes well with the sweetness that i suppose is the virginia/ cavendish components. Its a tasty tobacco and a good value for the money imo.

Thanks for the input on field and stream and chatam manor, they are on my list. Field and stream sounds enjoyable and i do like carter hall.

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I have tried every Match blend that P&C offers. Having not tried the original and just opinions based off the blend themselves I would recommend:

Bourbon Street- am actually smoking a bowl of this as I type. It is a rough cut blend with some sweetness the bag had a unusual perfume aroma when first purchased but has since disappeared.

field & Stream- perhaps my favorite of the match blends it has a Anise like flavor that is mild and sweet. A stronger version of Great Outdoors.

sugar barrel- nice chunky cut blend with a mild sweet OTC vibe.

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed- similar to Sugar Barrel with a chunky cut and is flavorful easy to smoke with no bite.

the Match blends also have some excellent choices when looking for a Latakia/english/Balkan blends as well. Have yet to find one I didn't like although Argosy is not my cup of tea since I don't care much for Black CAVENDISH.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have tried every Match blend that P&C offers. Having not tried the original and just opinions based off the blend themselves I would recommend:

Bourbon Street- am actually smoking a bowl of this as I type. It is a rough cut blend with some sweetness the bag had a unusual perfume aroma when first purchased but has since disappeared.

field & Stream- perhaps my favorite of the match blends it has a Anise like flavor that is mild and sweet. A stronger version of Great Outdoors.

sugar barrel- nice chunky cut blend with a mild sweet OTC vibe.

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed- similar to Sugar Barrel with a chunky cut and is flavorful easy to smoke with no bite.

the Match blends also have some excellent choices when looking for a Latakia/english/Balkan blends as well. Have yet to find one I didn't like although Argosy is not my cup of tea since I don't care much for Black CAVENDISH.
Field and Stream match is a great smoke with unique flavor.

Reactions: ofafeather

sherlockRoy

Lurker
Jan 20, 2021
Arroyo Grande, CA
Im thinking about ordering some of the Match burley blends offered by P&C. Specifically, Blue Boar, Bourbon Street and Field and Stream.

Anyone who likes burley blends and tried these, I would appreciate hearing your opinion.
Low end packaged tobaccos seem to have measurably improved since I tried everything I could find in the drug store back in the early 70's. Most I haven't gone near since, but among the ones I've tried again, I was surprised with the relative mildness and decent flavor of Amphora's Burley Blend. The only Amphora match I find is their Original Blend, but just FYI regarding burleys in general. Also, a nice old fashion Burley taste pokes out from behind the light Latakia in Match Barking Dog, which uses nutty, old fashion cube-cut Burley.
Cheers...

Reactions: ofafeather

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I also agree that all the ones I've tried are definitely aromatics.

I can concur with the previous posters' assessment of match field and stream. The anise/licorice wasn't for me, but the underlying tobacco was decent. I let the topping evaporate off and added perique, more my style.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I've tried all but 2 or 3 of the Match series, and one of my favorites of the lot, which no one has yet mentioned is:

Match Country Doctor.

This is a Burley base blend, backed with a Virginia semi-base, and very small amounts of Perique and Latakia as condiment tobaccos. The liquor topping is likewise applied very lightly. Country Doctor smokes very cleanly and completely for an OTC-style aromatic; and, is not goopy at all.

This blend is sort of a flavor-shifter, in that while the base Burley is well forward at all times, the minor flavor notes play back-and-forth throughout the bowl, presenting at different times faint notes of: a plumish or raisinish tastes, and then the most delightful tangy citrus of something which makes me think of sour green apple shows up; and then, vanishes just as quickly, as the sweet and nutty Burley returns as the focus of the taste.

I found Country Doctor to be not only a good, all-day, Burley blend, but also, whimsically entertaining in the most delightful way. - Sherm Natman

Status
Not open for further replies.