PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
So i decided to try a couple of new none codger tobaccos and got some BS 759 and Presbyterian from Match.
I liked the BS 759 and i am horrible at reviews but it has a good full almost sensory overload in my mouth. I enjoy the change one in a while. The Presbyterian was very disappointing just awful and the smell would knock a maggot of a gut wagon. What am i missing

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have both those blends, though I haven't cracked the Presbyterian tin yet, and now I may take my time getting to it. Maybe it could improve? The 759 match is a nice smoke, with a lot of play between the different tobaccos that remains interesting throughout the smoke. I need to tinker with it a little, drying and packing, to get it to burn more continuously, but that shouldn't be difficult. The other review or two I've read on Presby have noted more its blandness, but not its unpleasantness. Usually these brands that have been around forever have some redeeming features that eventually grow on you; I will try to approach it, eventually, with an open mind. Some do report it's one of their standard smokes.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I have both those blends, though I haven't cracked the Presbyterian tin yet, and now I may take my time getting to it. Maybe it could improve? The 759 match is a nice smoke, with a lot of play between the different tobaccos that remains interesting throughout the smoke. I need to tinker with it a little, drying and packing, to get it to burn more continuously, but that shouldn't be difficult. The other review or two I've read on Presby have noted more its blandness, but not its unpleasantness. Usually these brands that have been around forever have some redeeming features that eventually grow on you; I will try to approach it, eventually, with an open mind. Some do report it's one of their standard smokes.
My wife left the room and said it smelled like dirty gym socks. I did read a few reviews that said it gets better with time so i will just put it up for a bit and see if it gets better

• Wow
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Better with time sounds good. I'll give myself some months or years with my tin of Presbyterian. My dad's family were of that denomination; his mom was Scotch-Irish, so it fit. (In my N.C. city there used to be a Presbyterian minister on TV who spoke in a deep Scottish brogue, really ornate, and it came to my attention that he had grown up in rural N.C. but gone to seminary in Scotland, which amused me considerably, but he was a good speaker and smart ... and it seemed to me, a little zany with his accent. Perhaps the people in Scotland couldn't understand his Southern U.S. accent, so he accommodated them and never turned back.)

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Better with time sounds good. I'll give myself some months or years with my tin of Presbyterian. My dad's family were of that denomination; his mom was Scotch-Irish, so it fit. (In my N.C. city there used to be a Presbyterian minister on TV who spoke in a deep Scottish brogue, really ornate, and it came to my attention that he had grown up in rural N.C. but gone to seminary in Scotland, which amused me considerably, but he was a good speaker and smart ... and it seemed to me, a little zany with his accent. Perhaps the people in Scotland couldn't understand his Southern U.S. accent, so he accommodated them and never turned back.)
I wish i could have seen that minister. :)

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
So i decided to try a couple of new none codger tobaccos and got some BS 759 and Presbyterian from Match.
I liked the BS 759 and i am horrible at reviews but it has a good full almost sensory overload in my mouth. I enjoy the change one in a while. The Presbyterian was very disappointing just awful and the smell would knock a maggot of a gut wagon. What am i missing
I have had my Match 759 in my cellar for at least a month and haven't tried it yet. I'll have to check it out this month given your review.

Reactions: Old School 3319

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Nothing. I'm of the same mind. Match 759 is excellent. Presbyterian not so much. I assume Match Presbyterian is no better. It's all a matter of personal preference.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’ve never tried the match version but Presbyterian is a great, oriental forward blend. It is very light on the Latakia so can be fairly subtle. I’m not sure why the room note would be bad, especially compared to a heavy lat blend. YMMV

Reactions: desrtrat68
Status
Not open for further replies.