PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have tried 965 match and EMP match, not that bad as long as you don't smoke side by side with the original. What other matches have you guys tried the are close?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Trout Times - I have tried many of the Match Blends offered over on P&C (Nightcap, 965, EMP, Flying Dutchman, Revelation, PA, Presbyterian, Elizabethan), and I have enjoyed ALL the match products I have tried thus far; however, I can only comment on the Match Prince Albert vs Original Price Albert in a side-by-side taste test I conducted - which while Match PA was "good", I found it more mellow, less nit-hit, and lacked a certain something in the satisfying punch which Original PA ALWAYS delivers. As PA ia my main daily smoke, I consider Match PA more like Albert's cool little brother.
- Sherm Natman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Ray47 - I am glad you mentioned the Hearth & Home Mid-Town match mixtures, as I am planning on doing the Carter Hall/Chatham Manor, as well as, the Kentucky Club/Derby Club, and of course, the Prince Albert/Prince Andrew match testing in side-by-sides as soon as I can get to them. - Sherm Natman

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Elizabethan Match is based on the Murray's version, which is infinitely better than the current version. That's why it's different than the current mix.

Reactions: towhee89

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's a link to my Match reviews. Some have been updated in the past couple of years, and those updates are at TR. But this may suffice as a guide for some who are interested.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-match-reviews

Reactions: towhee89

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Thanks Jim, that makes a lot of sense. The Match is way better than the recently discontinued tins, IMO. I also prefer ERR Match to Lane Ready Rubbed, by quite a margin, but I find the primary difference to be cut and richness of topping.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I prefer Sutliff's ERR Match as well, and I say it's a closer match overall.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
There's something I don't understand and I wish you guys would help me figure it out. When blends, like the Dunhill range, go out of production because the trademark owner decides to pull the plug, can't the factory keep on producing the same blends under a different name? In Dunhill's case, why doesn't the Orlik factory just use the same recipe with another name? Is it a patent or trademark issue that might encourage BAT to pursue legal action? If that's the case, has anyone of the big manufacturers not offered to buy the production license from BAT?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Ray47 - I am glad you mentioned the Hearth & Home Mid-Town match mixtures, as I am planning on doing the Carter Hall/Chatham Manor, as well as, the Kentucky Club/Derby Club, and of course, the Prince Albert/Prince Andrew match testing in side-by-sides as soon as I can get to them. - Sherm Natman
If your going on the assumption that Chatham Manor taste like Carter Hall you'll be disappointed. I can't speak for the other Mid-Town Matches.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Ray47 & Weezell - Thanks for that input. I have to say I am more than a bit surprised to learn this, as those Mid-town mixtures are specifically advertised as substitutes for their listed commercial ID counterparts. Thanks for the heads up! - Sherm Natmaan

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I've tried most of the Sutliff match blends. Being an old school burley guy, they're right in my wheel house and I like them all; my favorites being the match for Briggs, Revelation, and Holiday mixtures. I've also tried the H&H Midtown blends. The Kentucky Club and Chestnut are very nice too.
I would wholeheartedly recommend these blends to anyone who is interested in a good all-day smoke.
Cheers,
Chili

Mar 29, 2016
"I like Sutliff's Match Elizabethan more than the original."
+1
Also I just tried 965 match and...nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.