PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I bought one of these Mastro De Paja Bella Rustic pipes the other week. They were pretty inexpensive at $60. I have to say, even though it was cheap and had a bowl coating, it smoked well from the the first bowl. That’s from someone that immediately removed all coatings for years. After 3 or 4 bowls it’s already a great smoker!

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.02.44 AM.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Was that new or estate? Either way, a good deal. I have often looked at the brand but saw higher prices. This looks like a good catch. I like the mixed finish, which on this pipe is notably well done. Though I always give extra points for not having the bowl coated on a new pipe, I have not found the coatings a problem and don't bother to sand them off. I've only run into one or two that required time to neutralize. Most just light up and go.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
This one is really Santambrogio looking, it was new - for $60! Anyway, I was a coating hater, used to use a toothbrush and alcohol to take it out religiously. I had a Rattray that was a terrible smoker until I removed the coating, then it was suddenly great (only one of several). I guess that's what did it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've puzzled over why coatings are used. As near as I can tell from reading, just enough pipe buyers will puff a new pipe to death, so the coatings protect those folks from burning up the pipe before it has a carbon coating from smoking. The rest of us just have to go with it, or spend the energy to sand off the coating. That is a fine pipe far beyond the $60 price point. I have a hunch a mistake was made, but who cares? That was the price; you paid; your pipe now! Hurrah!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks to be a smart purchase.

Coatings? Eh, I just run very hot tap water though the chamber and out the stem. If if comes off, well and good, if not, I just smoke it. No problems so far.

Reactions: danimalia

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The best comment on coatings is from Mark Pinsky, who said that he smokes pipes that have a stunning chamber flaw that nonetheless do not burn out, while pipes that have no flaws do. Also there fact is that with or without coatings pipes rarely burn out. The incidence is so small as to be statistical;ly invisible.

Pipe makers who nonetheless insist on coating their pipes do so over the express wishes of any number of people who buy them.

Todd Johnson is a rabid coater. His Youtube video that he feels conclusive in favor of coating can be attacked on several grounds.

Reactions: Papamique

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I certainly prefer a "naked" bowl myself, though I have to admit that I don't believe I've really encountered any trouble with the coatings.

I had a MdP Brugo that I bought from Mkelaw. It was huge, and a good smoker, but I snapped the tenon off when I left it in the center console of my car, and I guess the stem was sticking up too high and I didn't take care enough to ensure I had it stored safely. Bummer. I'd definitely get another. And would certainly buy more pipes from Mkelaw.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No one has ever challenged the uncoated Italian pipes as being more susceptible to burnout.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Great deal. They have a number of options to choose from. I have had two new MdP and one came “naked” and was absolutely wonderful right off the bat which, for me, is rare.
they are IMO an excellent price/quality ratio and have a rich history to boot.

Reactions: 3rdguy
Status
Not open for further replies.