Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I've been hunting around for a Meer recently, going from antique store to antique store with nary a hit. Last week I thought I found one, but the owner would not dicker despite having a patently ridiculous price.
This week I finally struck gold. There's a perpetual barn sale up the street from me that I pop into occasionally. In one of the cases was and unsmoked Meerschaum for TWENTY dollars. Needless to say I snapped that puppy up.

10494603_10152271976277794_3395933997106725334_n.jpg

I'd never heard of Mastercraft so I did a little digging. Apparently they were an importer of pipes and luxury goods. A few of their briars were from well known carvers of the time, but I can't find anything concerning their meers. Mine was made in Austria and was originally part of a matched pair. Christ knows what happened to it's sibling. It passed the "Lick Test" so it's block, and not pressed, Meerschaum. Stem is lucite or acrylic so it's not a very comfortable clencher,

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Also, the lick test only works for unsmoked.
OP: Nice, great price too! I have a Mastercraft also but bent. Your right it's not comfortable to clench, so I keep a rubber bit on. Also I opened up the tenon insert for a better draw. Not sure if yours is a delrin connection or metal screw in type but the draw felt restricted when I got it but much better now.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Great find. It's seldom that anyone can find a pre-70's pipe that's un-smoked. I've not heard of your 'lick test' in quit that way though. I think the best test on an older pipe is to touch a bit of moisture to the pipe (under the stem in case it leaves a small mark) and see if it's absorbed. A press powder pipe will not be absorbent at all but block meerschaum will suck the water in almost instantly.

This may not be as apparent on a pipe made in the last ten years or so because they are boiling more bees wax into the stone that may seal the pores. But, any pipe made in the last several years is almost certainly a block meerschaum (except for most calabash bowls).

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
@antbaurs. It's a metal screw in tenon. Somewhat tight draw, but I'll live with it. Only issue is that it takes quite a few tries to pass a cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.