PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just picked me up a nice lil' MASTERCRAFT Hand Made for $28. Impulse buy. But it has some nice grain and I do so like the classic bulldog shape. Pipedia has a nice blurb on the brand:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Mastercraft
After reaming thoroughly and expending a bag of Qtips and pipe cleaners and nylon brushes on the shank, not to mention a bucket of isopropanol, what with the several retorts and all, I do believe the pipe is ready for its first smoke. Christianing bowl will be Star of the East bulk, and so on, till a decent cake is formed.
IMAG1400-1-1.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Dervis. At 28g its a great clencher. It's amazing the deals you'll find on no reserve eBay sales. Seems the great majority of pipers are going after the big name pipes from well established sellers. Where competition - and sniping - is high. Over the last couple of years I've had great luck going under the radar, picking up some real fine smokers for under $50.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I posted the MC info on Pipedia after buying a number and looking for more info than they had available. (They just had the Bing reference.) I'd been picking them up for between $10-20 with a bit of watching for the Algerian Briar marked ones. That is a nice one for grain you got. That isn't that unusual to find in their line. Keep an eye for the ones with handmade in the stamping -- they tend to be a bit nicer in wood.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks for the info jkenp. That's a great entry you wrote on Pipedia. Mine says Imported Briar and I was pleasantly surprised to find no fills or sand pits. A real fine piece of briar with tight dense grain, for the cost. It's smoking nicely. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for other shapes in this line. Thanks Coalsmoke, there's some mighty nice BBB Thorneycrofts up on the 'bay now.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Well, I didn't write but did the cut & paste from a years old forum.
For a while I used this entry screen for ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Estate-/4119/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=1&_nkw=algerian+briar&rt=nc&_dmd=1
It gives the list in expiration order. Sone days it isn't worth much. Other days you find a nice one still and the minimum that has no bidders. Got one that is a favorite for $3.95. Grain about the same as your pipe with the only flaw a tiny chip from poor knocking out. It is a dry sweet smoker. I quit using that entry when I ran out of rack space. ;)
Briar from the other side of the Med is said to have a different grain structure that makes it preferred. I can say for sure but they do smoke well. I'd be surprised if your pipe wasn't Algerian. A lot of pipe back in the day that were are just marked imported.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Great idea jkenp to use "Algerian Briar" as the search function. Never thought to do that. I've always just searched using brand names. You're right tho, it does pull up some interesting pipes!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have been out bid so many times this week. Almost always by 50 cents the last second of bidding. I am not going for high end pipes just decent looking bulldogs.
I did get a bulldog this morning on Ebay though! It should arrive by Wednesday !

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Nice score! Most of the pipes in that range have literally been smoked to death, cleaned only when black tar started to ooze through the stem etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.