kingsford-regular-charcoal.png

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
woodsroad said:

Not sure about that, but I know what he was smoking
kingsford-regular-charcoal.png
That not only literally made me laugh out loud, I'm continuing to laugh as I type this ... best response I've seen in a long damn time ...
(still laughing)

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
That's a quit smoking plan. When the pipe is too caked up to put baccy in you have kicked the craving.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Awfully rusty for brass.
I think this is an old plumbing part, and we're really looking at a hair ball, not carbon cake.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I refurbished two pipes for a local tobacconist earlier this year...both looked like that. I couldnt even fit a pencil in the bowl?

How? Why? Huh?

The really strange thing was the fact that both draft holes were so caked, that they were airtight, and had to be drilled...makes no sense.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Less is more with cake, in my opinion. I wipe out the bowls after each smoke and keep cake to a minimum.

Nothing against folks who want that big thick cake in a pipe, but it's not my thing.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Sorry guys, but I'm not convinced that is actually carbon cake (it doesn't look like carbon cake, but since it's in the pipe bowl we assume so) The pipe is obviously brass and copper, it's advertised as being very heavy. I would conclude that this is a mortar like substance that is used to insulate the hand from what would otherwise be a red hot metal pipe. Perhaps an overkill, perhaps not. Maybe it's a small bowl purposely. But make no mistake, I can assure you that metal pipe is unsmokeable without that substance, whatever it is, in the bowl... and that kinda makes me think it's there for a reason.
That's my nickles worth on it. :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Actually, opium did cross my mind too, but I have never seen such pipes. Hash or Mary J doesnt cake like that I dont think. Opium is more like a tar substance right? Id hate to go to jail for possession of opium cake, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.