PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I just heard about this one on Facebook. Here is the text from the web page, and if you click on the link it allows you to send an email to your senators protesting this. A 1,650% tax increase on pipe tobacco would just be prohibitive for me and a lot of pipe smokers.

Oppose Federal Tax Increase on Premium Cigars & Pipe Tobacco​

Senator Durbin (D-IL) has reintroduced a massive tobacco tax increase as part of a bill that is otherwise intended to address maternal mortality. Buried within S. 411, the Mothers and Offspring Mortality and Morbidity Awareness Act (MOMMA’s Act), are changes to the tax code that would treat the entire tobacco industry as cigarettes. The result is an estimated 500% - 1000% increase on the tax for premium cigars (depending on size) and a 1650% increase on the tax for pipe tobacco!
A tax this big isn’t just lost profit.This bill will raise the costs for manufacturers, retailers, and consumers. Jobs, businesses, and ability to buy and enjoy a premium cigar will be at risk. Take action now by letting your US Senators know that S.411 (MOMMA’s Act) shouldn’t be paid for on the back of a single industry!

Oppose Federal Tax Increase on Premium Cigars & Pipe Tobacco - https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl.fastly.net/messages/edit?promo_id=12153

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Such a bill is extreme, far more punitive than anything passed heretofore. Could it really find the support in Congress to pass unless some sweet, juicy political expedient/financial came with it.

Reactions: BROBS
Sorry, I thought this was new when I posted it. I did a web search but didn't catch that it was in the last Congress.
No problem. I sometimes will get sparked by an outdated post and do the exact same thing.
There has to be hundreds of bills that end up in the trash before they ever make it to the floor all the time. Crazy stuff. Rookie senators and Representatives on both sides will start off with some crazy stuff. I'm never surprised when I read that this or that stupid idea was entered for submission, and half the time stupid ideas are allowed on the floor, just to keep things from being boring or for their own amusement.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Did some digging and it looks like it died in the previous congress.

However, this is the type of thing I think we will see in the future.
Sorry, I thought this was new when I posted it. I did a web search but didn't catch that it was in the last Congress.
It's been reintroduced: Text - S.411 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): MOMMA’s Act - https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/411/text
I think we should all get used to the idea that pipe tobacco will one day be sold for the same price as caviar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.