PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Awhile back I saw some recommendations for blends from Watch City Cigar. A couple of them were not available at the time, and the flavored tobacco ban was near, so I never ordered.

Out of curiosity I checked their website today and found this under the notice for Massachusetts residents: "All flavored tobacco and cigars are now banned in Massachusetts. That includes all flavored cigars, Pipe Tobacco, and Hookah Tobacco etc. Any orders containing Flavored Tobacco will have those products removed and refunded. Again, please direct all complaints to Governor Charlie Baker's administration. Thank you for your understanding."

So this is good news for smokers who live outside of that state. They can still sell aromatic blends to out of state customers, but not Massachusetts residents.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
If they nitpick too far, dark fired and latakia are "flavored".

Where do they draw the line?

I hate this stuff. I hate when laws like this get passed because of groundless assumptions. The logic is that flavored stuff is for kids and kids wouldn't pick up smoking if they didn't have fruit flavors.

Everyone knows that's bullshit. It's just a reason, an excuse.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And residents pay Massachusetts property taxes. Oy. I guess they are running people off to preserve the countryside. I'd suggest they look at some of the ingredients in the processed food children eat, if they want to raise hell about something that has widespread (pun) health effects. Hydrogenated high fructose corn syrup, but only for starters. With happy cartoon pictures on the packages. Uh-huh. And they're worried about someone's Captain Black Grape? Please.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
So much for 'The Land Of The Free' then.

I thought you had something in your written constitution that said something about the freedom to pursue happiness?

It amazes me that laws like this are able to be passed in direct contradiction of the Constitutional Rights. I know for sure if I was an American I'd be kicking up stink about this.

Doesn't anyone ever challenge these diktats?

Regards,

Jay.?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

I thought you had something in your written constitution that said something about the freedom to pursue happiness?

It amazes me that laws like this are able to be passed in direct contradiction of the Constitutional Rights. I know for sure if I was an American I'd be kicking up stink about this.

Regards,

Jay.?
States here have rights unlike in the UK.
a state can pass a law in contradiction to national law. And the only way to make overturn this is with the Supreme Court.

also, what if your “happiness” was sexually assaulting children? Shooting up Meth?
Obviously there are some things that won’t fly.

I’m going to guess that in the UK they teach very little about our governmental system for fear that you guys will become jealous.

• Love
Reactions: JMcQ
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

Regards,

Jay.?

The Constitution is openly disrespected in our country these days... referred to as out of date. We are in a rush to "catch up" with you guys... If you say Constitution 5 times in a row, you're put on a watch list and you won't get your corona check.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I hate this stuff. I hate when laws like this get passed because of groundless assumptions. The logic is that flavored stuff is for kids and kids wouldn't pick up smoking if they didn't have fruit flavors.

Clearly there’s a kid epidemic. In 1918.
ig30O1HneXOVsBixSZhuGAjvg51_qD_rl5Z5YRvQRBNitZZlhLQvydnvhC4_vC9VEVnsEw4UUSUY_8fM-jBtx2JzZ-zojxv7QJBG3nsSfpZzWJDokmaOUxNscBs

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Brobs, I quite understand your what qualifies as 'happiness' thing but your "I’m going to guess that in the UK they teach very little about our governmental system for fear that you guys will become jealous." Has me a little puzzled.

From what little I know of the ins and outs of the American system of voting, I can only say it's just as confusing as our own, and most certainly not something we might be jealous of.

But whatever on the politics front, I just think it sad for you guys to have your leaders interpret your CRs as they personally see fit.

Regards,

Julian. ?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jan 27, 2020
Awhile back I saw some recommendations for blends from Watch City Cigar. A couple of them were not available at the time, and the flavored tobacco ban was near, so I never ordered.

Out of curiosity I checked their website today and found this under the notice for Massachusetts residents: "All flavored tobacco and cigars are now banned in Massachusetts. That includes all flavored cigars, Pipe Tobacco, and Hookah Tobacco etc. Any orders containing Flavored Tobacco will have those products removed and refunded. Again, please direct all complaints to Governor Charlie Baker's administration. Thank you for your understanding."

So this is good news for smokers who live outside of that state. They can still sell aromatic blends to out of state customers, but not Massachusetts residents.

Sucks for Peretti seems they have a strong local customer base. I found out recently that flavored cigars are banned in NY state, not sure that applies to pipe tobacco as I’ve had no issue in ordering it

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
IFK, browsing Watch City’s site, things we considered “flavored” like University Flake, Royal Yacht, etc., don’t seem to hit the ban but Watch City’s Viral Vanilla does. Not quite sure what the distinction is other than the Vanilla being the standout quality of the blend and being in the name.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
IFK, browsing Watch City’s site, things we considered “flavored” like University Flake, Royal Yacht, etc., don’t seem to hit the ban but Watch City’s Viral Vanilla does. Not quite sure what the distinction is other than the Vanilla being the standout quality of the blend and being in the name.
Bob’s Chocolate Flake and Solani Tropical Mango Flake both seem to pass as well. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.