PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Just received my first set of mason jars that I will be using for long term storage, but as you can see the box says that it seals up to 18 months. So did I buy the wrong ones or am I supposed to replace the lids every 18 months, and if so doesn't opening the jars start the aging process over ? I plan on storing for years even into the double digits. Thanks

Jars.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The 18 months is a caution for people that do actual canning, which is their intended use. Irrelevant for tobacco, you aren't going to want to pop the top in 18 months and put on another one. Many here use Mylar (?) as a possibly more "permanent" method. I'm taking my chances with the jars. I've bought some jars from members with tobacco that's as much as 15 years old, and that top was hard to get off and made a nice sound when it came off.

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
The 18 months is a caution for people that do actual canning, which is their intended use. Irrelevant for tobacco, you aren't going to want to pop the top in 18 months and put on another one. Many here use Mylar (?) as a possibly more "permanent" method. I'm taking my chances with the jars. I've bought some jars from members with tobacco that's as much as 15 years old, and that top was hard to get off and made a nice sound when it came off.
Yeah thats what my wife said. She mentioned that it was probably for actual food storage, but I wanted to get on here and ask you fine people just to be on the safe side. Thanks

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I suspect that replacement lids are a nice source of profit for them. Not being into canning myself, I didn't learn until recently that replacing old lids and using a new one each time was even a thing. Heck, we just wash our lids in the dishwasher, that's how critical our household uses are for these things!

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Just received my first set of mason jars that I will be using for long term storage, but as you can see the box says that it seals up to 18 months. So did I buy the wrong ones or am I supposed to replace the lids every 18 months, and if so doesn't opening the jars start the aging process over ? I plan on storing for years even into the double digits. Thanks

View attachment 170415

I asked Tom Darasz, tobacco blender from Kiel, what he assumed the best way to keep and age pipe tobacco over years. He told me vacuum sealing would be the most reliable method. Same process as if you keep the tobacco in a unopened vacuum sealed tin.

I keep my tobacco in already used Bonne Maman Glasses, but not for years. Those close very tight and keep tobacco as moist as it was as I received the bulk.

I would try to heat up the glasses shortly in hot water with the tobacco pit inside then put the lid on tightly. If it’s tight you can see the lid bending a little. You can gain a sort of vacuum effect on the sealing that way. Almost like grandma did with her cucumbers.A6D54DF1-8F69-44D7-81DA-0F6D0FE294F1.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: vates and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have some tobaccos in glass jars, I put a long strip of Teflon on the thread. And now it is impossible for me to open them, they are sealed like never before. If you want an atomic seal, put teflon on the threads of the jars. 😬

• Haha
Reactions: FLDRD and UB 40

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I use the bail jars for short term storage, for example a blend that I'm actively smoking. I wouldn't use a bail jar for long term storage the seal is not captured like a mason jar. For the long term storage mason jars or heat sealed mylar bags are the best options. I find I use mylar more often lately as they store easier.

Reactions: JOHN72 and UB 40