PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
I just ordered 8oz of Firedance flake in the bulk. I am going tomorrow to get a case of mason jars for the bulk tobacco I plan on purchasing.
My question is this...is there anything I need to do to the jars before placing the baccy in there for storage? Boil them or a good rinse with soap and water?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Scott

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would put them in the dishwasher and make sure they are completely dry before putting tobacco in them. You can hand wash, but I think the dishwasher does a better job personally.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Well I just found the other threads! Sorry about this post folks if its in the way please go ahead and delete this! Should known the info was already out there lol.

Aug 12, 2013
I store my tobacco in mason jars as well. I guess it's the poor boy's tobacco humidor. I thinks it's about the cheapest way to store your tobacco, especially if you keep multiple blends on hand. Love Em!

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I store all my tobacco in mason jars after sending them through the dishwasher except for 5 jars on my fireplace that has my most smoked tobacco its in pop top air tight jars. They just look better out in the living room. But the other tobacco in the cold storage room is all mason.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Roth, I totally endorse putting lipstick on pigs. After all, they are such ugly creatures.
9560876450_b38caea52a_o.png
[/url][/img]
And yes, I also put labels on the side of my jars. :puffy:

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I'm with Roth, I just use the new jars as-is with no washing. I do, however let them air out a bit before packing to remove that stale "Jar Factory" air inside them!

It's also a good idea to check the lids a week or two after you pack the baccy, as many times I find that my tightly screwed lids are not tight after that time. After the second tightening, they're usually fine.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I put all my bulk tobacco's in mason jars as well. I'll also use them when it takes me a long time to finish a tin so the tobacco in the tins doesn't dry out on me. I have never had any issues with tobaccos drying out on me when in the mason jars, but I have not had anything stored for more than 2 years, so I am probably not the best person to respond :)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
mason jars of as clean as they will ever be when you buy them. if your tobacco is drying out in mason jars you are doing something wrong.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Have all of my tobacco in Mason/ Ball jars keep them in the flat they came with, easy to stack several flats at a time. I don't bother washing them prior to filling with tobacco. Store anywhere. And yes they can ping, just retighten the lid.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Ball jars are typically clean from the factory, my grandmother would boil them before use though. But I always just give a quick rinse with hot water, no soap then dry and there ready.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Crap. Ok, here's a question. How much is too much space at the top of a jar? Sometimes the tobacco just didnt quite fill out the jar.
Oh and how about storing flake? do you cube it first so it condenses?
Just curious.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am sure Roth is correct about the jars being clean when purchased. I keep getting visions of opening my treasures 2 years from the cellar date and finding the tobacco ruined from mold and whatnot. I think will continue in my paranoid ways and sterilize the jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.