PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
For anyone like me who loves reading through the old Pipe Lovers Magazines which are online, in every issue there is a large amount of ads for Marxman brand pipes; however, in our beloved "What Are You Smoking?" thread, I cannot recall if I have ever seen anyone post about these specific pipes or posted any pictures of them from their collection.

Perhaps the advertising layouts are wonderful, and the pipes themselves not so much?

Anyone collect or use these Marxman pipes; and, if not, why not? - Sherm Natman
MARXMAN_PIPE_AD.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Extra cool. I like the prices on those pipes, although that was when $25 was $25. I can't tell if the business was on 14th St. or 74th St. The print's too small.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For anyone like me who loves reading through the old Pipe Lovers Magazines which are online, in every issue there is a large amount of ads for Marxman brand pipes; however, in our beloved "What Are You Smoking?" thread, I cannot recall if I have ever seen anyone post about these specific pipes or posted any pictures of them from their collection.

Perhaps the advertising layouts are wonderful, and the pipes themselves not so much?

Anyone collect or use these Marxman pipes; and, if not, why not? - Sherm Natman
View attachment 202653

Bob Marx made pipes from 1934 to 1954 when he sold out to Mastercraft.

Here’s the Pipedia article:

Marxman is one of my favorite brands and I think is among the reliably best smoking pipes ever made.

Marx used Algerian briar, which wasn’t pretty to look at but they smoked pretty.

I’m enjoying a Super Briar Pot right now.

The artfully carved models are valuable, the smooth ones are about $20, the best bargain today in used pipes.

0915AEA1-2D48-4490-A2D3-53DBA649651C.jpegA54190A5-5A19-4234-9DD8-7E3E8A58E0CC.jpeg313A1C5B-AD61-4C31-8303-2D89D2665AED.jpeg

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Extra cool. I like the prices on those pipes, although that was when $25 was $25. I can't tell if the business was on 14th St. or 74th St. The print's too small.

Tom, it reads as: 27 West 24th St, NYC - in the Flatiron District.

Here's a picture of that building today:
Marxman_Pipe_Bldg_Today.jpg

Courtesy of Your Pal, and Friendly Neighborhood Google Earth Explorer - Sherm Natman

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
however, in our beloved "What Are You Smoking?" thread, I cannot recall if I have ever seen anyone post about these specific pipes or posted any pictures of them from their collection.
Here is a thread that is currently active on Marxman Pipes, My New Marxman Bench Made Pipe :: Pipe Talk - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/my-new-marxman-bench-made-pipe.86793/

I have quite a few unsmoked Marxman Pipes, but I have four that I smoke regularly. One is a Royal, and it is the closest thing I will ever get to a 400 - The King of Marxman Pipes. The other three include a 6 Panel billiard, a full bend Mello, and a 4 Panel Benchmade. The last two have the rugged weathered rustication look that Marxman Pipes are famous or infamous for having.

I wish more people smoked Marxman Pipes on this forum. When properly cleaned, they are sweet smoking pipe to be sure.

Marx allowed his carvers to be artists and it shows. Some went on to create their own pipe brands. Right now, there are several unsmoked pipes by one particular Marxman carver on Reborn Pipes. It is interesting to see the heritage of the carver - a bit of Marxman shows up in his pipes.

Marxman was known for advertising and even today, their old advertisements hold their own as pure art.

I hope you will take some time to peruse the other thread. Many of your questions about Marxman Pipes will be answered there. I look forwarding to seeing more active discussions about these fascinating pipes.

Right now, I think @Briar Lee and I are the only regular Marxman Pipe smokers on the forum although we are trying to get @didimauw to jump into the deep water with these pipes.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Right now, I think @Briar Lee and I are the only regular Marxman Pipe smokers on the forum although we are trying to get @didimauw to jump into the deep water with these pipes.

This does NOT surprise me.

Seems after their wedding, the newly-minted Mrs. Mauw experienced the same "resistance and reluctance" out of @didimauw when it got to that time of their Honeymoon night to "jump into the deep waters"... as it were.

However, the story their wedding night story ends properly, as Mrs Mauw straightened him right out; and how!
Schemp.jpg

Here's hoping you and @Briar Lee have the same success in encouraging him to ... climb aboard... in a manner of speaking, with trying out a Marxman Pipe. - Sherm Natman

Last edited:

telescopes

I've studied the old Marxman Royals. They were standard shaped pipes with better briar and finishes. I believe my Marxman " Royal" is actually 400 second or proto-type. It has the 400 shape, but clearly has Royal or rather Roya written as the model. I also suspect that the bane was replaced as well as the stem at some point in the pipes's life. Everything about it shouts 400. If only pipes could talk.image.jpg Hmmm

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Everything about it shouts 400.
That's a beauty, I really like that one!
Honestly, I agree. I suspect the only thing between it & a 400 is size. The 400 adverts talk about massive blocks of briar - & the one I have is seven inches.

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

From an earlier thread years years ,

"In his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Smoking" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say, in part, concerning Marxman pipes: "Bob Marx opened his New York factory in 1934. His wife, Helen, took care of the administration activities while Marx handled the sales. There were seven carvers, one of whom was Lewis Cowan, who had previously worked for Loewe & Co in London. Each pipe was polished with a special formula known only to one man in the shop, Hugo Sohn, who had four decades of tobacco blending and pipemaking experience in Germany."
The Jumbo was one of five styles offered by Marxman. Regarding it Mr. Hacker wrote, "As its name implied, the Jumbo was a much larger pipe, part carved, part smooth and occasionally exhibiting variations on classic stylings. In a way, it was one of the forerunners of the freehand.?"

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee and Toast