PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm overwhelmed by the kind words and fabulous responses from you all. Please know that I'm truly humbled to be his father.
I simply don't have the vocabulary to express the pride I have in him.
Bill and Devil Dog, we're expecting our first call from him this weekend. It'll be a swell Father's Day gift and I couldn't think of a better one with Susie, brother Sam and me nattering away at him. Susie and Sam will fly out for his OCS graduation and I'll go out when he graduates from the Basic School.
Dhizzy, in spite of the pressure to go infantry Ben wants to be a red leg. Becoming a cannon-cocker has always fascinated him - in spite of being damned near fluent in Korean and requesting an Intel berth at Camp Mujuk - I think his Corps career will consist of floating around on an MRU (Is that right? Mobile Response Unit?) in the IO or South China Sea.
Again, guys, thank you for allowing me the "proud papa" post.
Fnord

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Small world! Andy completed TBS May 7th and is home for a few days while on his way to Artillery School at Ft. Sill. Following Ft. Sill he will be assigned to 1st battalion 12th Marines at MCBH Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. As I understand it, the other artillery units are at Camp Lejeune, Pendleton, and a unit that rotates between Okinawa and 29 Palms. While at K Bay he will spend some time afloat and in various training exercises in the Pacific. Artillery wasn’t his first choice but he definitely wanted a combat arms MOS and he would have preferred Pendleton but he’s more than OK with Hawaii.

Please send my thanks and best wishes to Ben and his OCS platoon. You are rightfully proud of your son.

Bill

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Yep, you are close. I think what you are referring to is a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit.) I never got to go on a float but they are supposed to be one of the best experiences a Marine can have. Again, congrats to you and your family.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I was a conscientious objector during Vietnam. Wasn't the war that I objected to so much as a hatred of gun which stems from experiences in my childhood. I have tried to serve my fellow man in other ways and believe that I have done so well. That being said, I have great respect for anyone wearing the uniform of our (or "their" in cases of non-USA volunteers) country, salute them whenever they are around and just wish that they did not have to be in harm's way. As Memorial Day passed and the Fourth approaches, we all should say a prayer for those who serve. A special prayer for Ben...

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
My brothers are always in my prayers.
ezofq0.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Outstanding, Jim! My thoughts and prayers for him and all of the other brave men in our military service.

Status
Not open for further replies.