PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, I'd been eyeing one on P&C for a bit. You certainly can't beat the price. So, yesterday I ordered one for IPSD... Am I going to regret it? What have been your experiences with Manufacturer's Seconds?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have no experience save for the fact that I have owned 2 Parkers which are supposedly Dunhill seconds. Both smoked well one of them was amazing. Sadly it was lost when sat on by a very large friend of mine. Most seconds that I have seen usually just have cosmetic issues like fills or odd shapes but the engineering tends to be the same. What brand's second did you buy?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
ohin3:
Manufacturer's Seconds is actually the "brand" name for the pipes P&C is selling. The OP wasn't using a generic here.
One thing I noticed on the P&C site is that the pipes shown are not always the actual pipes you would receive. For instance, they use the exact same image for two different pipe models. So you won't really know what you're getting until it arrives. The couple I looked at closely showed severe sand-pitting and fissures; several have multiple fills. Such flaws won't likely affect the smoking quality at all -- unless there are similar problems inside the bowl -- but they certainly aren't as visually appealing as a lot of other board/basket/second pipes I've seen. But you're talking about a $30-40 pipe. Not sure you can do much better with a new pipe these days, no matter who the manufacturer is. But for a little more money -- say, something in the $60-80 range -- I think you can get a much nicer-looking product and perhaps even one from a major pipe company.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah... Usually I spend a bit more on my pipes and have some really nice ones. I thought these were slightly pitted ones that bigger manufacturers were gonna toss. So, I figured I would take a chance. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

smokedragon

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2013
I recently bought a Royal Guard, which I think is a Stanwell made second. I'm not talking about the branded Stanwell Royal guard line of pipes, but a house brand. (It has an "RG" stamp on the stem instead of the Stanwell "S"). It smokes wonderfully. I think many times these seconds tend to have aesthetic problems more often than functional problems, but that is just my guess.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have one.

Stepphano Seconds are sold under the name Maggiore.
I paid about $100 for this one, looked it up on the internet and found the same Stepphano for more than three times that much. It is one very fine smoking pipe.

I have no complaints... only has one very small sand pit on the rim, and a tiny fill on the side of the bowl.

The fill is visible in the photo.
maggiore-stepphano-2nd-600x448.jpg

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I happen to like ugly and clunky pipes that look like they are loved and used. Kinda like me...

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
So I have my Manufacturer's Second from Pipes and Cigars. It's ugly. It's definitely not a "pretty" pipe. However, its cross grain with some really nice bird's eyes on the side. I use it to smoke non-aros and it's darkening up showing the grain. It smokes like a champ, has a really nice balance and weight to it. For the $32 I paid, I'm overjoyed. It smokes better than some pipes I paid $150 for. I'm not worried about it getting banged up, so it's a good traveler. I can see this pipe becoming "Ole Reliable" to me. I'll probably get another one if they post one that suits my fancy.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I have two Comoy's seconds which are great smokers. Both straight rusticated Billiards. They are called Astor brand which are made by Comoys. Might not be the prettiest pipe but it smokes great. I cannot find a fault.
pipepipe3-600x413.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I love my seconds, I have a Ben wade danish pride freehand, and 2 danish sovereigns and 2 parker bruyere deluxe. Alot of the seconds are simply seconds because the grain isn't top notch, as in how they smoke, they're amazing.
Here's the same model as one of my danish sovereigns, I guess the way the top is made it a second

Danish-Sovereign-Lt-Side2.jpg

Here's the stanwell my other danish soveriegn is a second of, the only difference is the grain isn't as nice. Got both of them for 22$ each. Very happy with the purchases.

$(KGrHqJHJFMFEUYnqV+UBRKml6hOJQ~~60_35.JPG

forestman

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
I have an identical Danish Sovereign 64 as Andrew has shown above. Still one of my favourites!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
years ago, I bought a Ben Wade freehand "second" ... I was never able to see the "defect" that caused it to be deemed a second and it smoked as well as or better than any pipe I've ever owned ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most seconds don't show any irregularity at all, even on close inspection. Some have a small fill here or there.

One time I was at my local independent pipe shop and wanted to try some Granger, which the owner gladly let

me sample. The pipe I had on me happened to be a Savenelli second straight billiard that I'd bought as an

unfinished pipe and that had turned a golden brown. I thought it was about as anonymous a pipe as could be.

So I enjoyed my Granger sample quite a bit, and went on my way. Another time months later I stopped around to

buy a tin of maybe Royal Yacht and didn't have time to smoke. But the pipe shop owner remembered my pipe

from before, and referred to it as "unpretentious," but it was clear he meant that in a good way, a very good way.

After more than 30 years, I feel pretty good about the pipe myself, and it does have a few small fills.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I recently purchased a Savinelli Seconds and only had one bowl so far, but it smoked calm, cool, and perfect. Love it.
Mike

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a Comoy Guildhall that has been a great smoker for 40+ years.
Just got a estate GBD Digby, but it has to go for an ozone treatment - IT STINKS!!! Looking forward to getting it back from Mike at Walkers. I have no problem with seconds, hopefully yours works well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.