PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Regardless of whoever wins this game, it'll probably be better than the Super Bowl itself! Being from Tennessee, I'm pulling for Manning! Even though his playoff record against Brady is not exactly stellar, I believe the stars will align this time!

If I can't have my Packers in the Super Bowl, then it's Manning and the Broncos all the way!

My prediction is Broncos over Patriots by a touchdown.
Anybody else have a prediction?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As I no longer have a dog in the hunt, I really haven't given it any thought. I suppose that which ever team has the most points at the end of the game, after 5 minutes or so of actual physical play, will be declared the winner. There really is a lot of just standing around in football these days what with replays, penalties, end zone dances and the like.
Actually, I kind of like it when the Pack gets sent home early, I get my Sunday back and no longer have to spend a couple of hours in front of the TV.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Brady is only 2 -1 vs Manning in the playoffs. Manning will even that score next Sunday.
I was on Sirius/XM's NFL Channel Sunday and if anyone is interested I can paraphrase what we talked about for twenty minutes on Sunday morning regarding the Peyton Manning legacy.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Like Petes, I'm a Packers fan, and I'd like to see the Broncos kick some Patriot butt! If they can hit Brady early and often, stop him from getting into rythm, I think they can do it.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Here ya go Pete...
In order to evaluate Manning's legacy objectively, you have to breakdown his career into three eras. The Jim More era, the Dungy era and the Broncos era. In those playoff games during the Mora era, there were ten dropped balls in key situations in the playoffs. Add, as a HC, how many playoff games had Mora won? Zero! During the Dungy era, their nemesis were the Patriots led by the best HC of all time. Put Manning with Belichick and how many playoff game would Manning have won? We don't know but remember, Football is a team sport. Belichick is a much better HC than Dungy at playoff time. In the Broncos era, it wasn't Manning that was covering Jacoby Jones at the end of the game when Flacco hit him with the winning bomb at the end of the game. Manning had that game won and it was the Defense that lost that game.
The book on Manning is still out. But, when his career is done I expect him to be the best QB in the modern era of the NFL.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I agree Saint. IMO, Manning's 2013 regular season will probably go down as the best regular season any QB has ever had! He really only has one more major record to beat (not counting Super Bowl wins), and that is All Time Passing Yards. Bret Favre currently holds that record, but if Peyton sticks it out for another couple of seasons he will undoubtedly beat it as well. I'd like to see Peyton win another ring, but they do have a tough road ahead of them! Still, my prediction is Broncos over Seahawks in the Super Bowl by 3 points or better!

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
It will take the better part of two more seasons for him to pass Farve's record for total yards.
I agree that this season is by far the best any QB has ever had.
Over the last week, the Manning haters have been out in full-force using his 7 playoff first round losses. That is why we discussed the above. Working for the local ESPN affiliate, I've kept up with him since his senior year at Newman High School.
I'm thinking a Broncos ve 49ers Super Bowl.
BTW, Farve wanted to drafted by the Saints and not the Falcons. I wish we had! :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On a good day, it's hard to beat the Manning brothers, either one, but they don't always

have a good day.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl post-spygate. Manning's title didn't come with a cheating scandal. That is all.
P.S.- Being a Buckeye fan I am sworn to hate Brady as he attended that school up north.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'll preface this post by saying I am a Broncos fan and live in the Denver metro area. But, I am also a journalism student and do my best to be objective in my writing, including about my favorite teams.
My personal preview for the AFC Championship game next Sunday:
We all know the history of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Brady's 10-4 record against Manning would indicate that the Broncos are facing an uphill battle, but the Patriots (with Brady under center) aren’t the same team that has compiled that 10-4 record against a Peyton Manning led team. Of those 14 games, half have been decided by a touchdown or less. This will be the fourth playoff meeting between Manning and Brady, third in an AFC Championship.
The last time Manning beat the Pats in the game before the Super Bowl was 2006, the year the Colts won their Super Bowl over the Chicago Bears. That was Manning’s one and only ring.
This season though, the Broncos are playing the favorites with Manning leading the way. The Broncos have been a statistical beast, one that is only comparable to … Tom Brady’s New England Patriots. They say defense wins championships, in that case it is a toss up of who’s defense is really better. I’d lean towards saying the Broncos defense is better, but neither team has a definitively more dominant D.
The Broncos have had a pretty good Rush defense, something the Patriots offense has been good at and was featured on Saturday night against the Colts defense who were just abused for six rushing TDs. The Broncos pass defense has been ok, but has taken a blow with the loss of Chris Harris. Tom Brady’s offense is going to rush, but they cannot rely on it to beat the Broncos who had a top 5 rushing defense during the regular season and shut down San Diego’s run game of Ryan Matthews and Danny Woodhead yesterday.
Brady will have to pass and his receiver corps isn’t the same showstoppers we are used to seeing him have. The dominant passing attack of New England has lost Wes Welker to Denver, Rob Gronkowski to yet another injury and Aaron Hernandez to multiple homicide (convictions pending). Last season the Pats passed for almost 300 yards a game, this season they are down to almost 250. The Pats and Broncos were about even in their passing attack, but this season the Broncos skyrocketed to the number one passing attack in the league (340 yards a game) while the Pats fell to 10th in passing yards per game.
But where the Broncos were killing defenses with their passing attack, the Pats pass defense has shown up. Their secondary has improved and so did their standings amongst pass defenses of the league. They’re not great , but they haven’t gotten torched as badly as Denver has this year. The Broncos were dominant in defending against the pass last year, but this year have tumbled to the near bottom of the league. The Broncos defense just isn’t what it was the last few years while the Pats defense has stepped up against QBs and receivers, bringing themselves up from the near bottom of the league last year to a more respectable middle of the pack in passing yards per game.
So, how does next Sunday play out? Broncos got the monkey off their back from their stunner loss to the Ravens and the Pats, well, they pretty much plan on being here I think. The Pats are the underdog though with a passing attack that has been reduced since the two teams last meeting in December, but their rushing attack has filled in nicely (when they aren’t fumbling the ball). The crazy game last month was an anomaly as the Pats screwed up so badly that they deserved to lose, yet the Broncos did the Pats a solid by turning around and giving the game back to them, and then the win.
It won’t be easy but the headline on Monday will either be “Patriots run down the Broncos defense to advance” or “Manning and Broncos return to Super Bowl after shootout in Denver.” Pats defense certainly has to do their part, and well, or hope that the Broncos beat themselves. The key to the game will be the home field. Sports Authority Field was LOUD during the Chargers game and they will certainly be keyed up for the game in Denver … but there are lots of Patriot fans in the area who may be able to limit the decibel level.
I’m giving the Broncos the win, 34-30. Broncos rush defense is good, but not good enough to stop the Pats from gaining yards on the ground. Even without his usually stellar group of receivers, Brady will find a way to get Edelman and Amendola their work through the air. But, the Broncos are the new Patriots as far as passing goes. They have their secret weapon, hopefully, in Welker. I just hope Welker isn’t the reason the Broncos lose like he has been a part of past key Patriot losses in crunch time.
34-30. Pats defense bends and breaks under the passing attack of Manning, but the Pats won’t just leave Denver without a hard fight.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
"But where the Broncos were killing offenses with their passing attack". I think you meant Defenses.
Anyway, you have a bright future in Sports journalism. Reason always works in journalism but not always on the field.
P S
Anyone in the Denver area still missing Tebow? :wink:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Dude, some people around here still miss Tebow and now they can all STFU because since last years loss to Baltimore they haven't shut up about how the Broncos dealt Tebow "and he won a playoff game. What has Manning done? Nothing."
Losers who are strictly Tebow fans (or just hardcore Christians) that don't understand media and pro-football enough to get why Tebow was sent packing and why he has no future in the NFL.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I have been a Patriots fan since the 1985 Superbowl against the Bears. So for me there can be only one ending.

Aug 1, 2012
I am also a journalism student and do my best to be objective in my writing

Losers who are strictly Tebow fans (or just hardcore Christians)
Yep, really objective there. Haters gotta hate.
None of it could have anything to do with the Broncos getting rid of something that, for the moment, was working. They replaced him with someone who was giving every indication that he was past his prime. Has Manning fought back and shown that he could still hack it? Yes. Did Tebow crash? Yes. I'm glad to see Manning come good and I was sorry to see Tebow go the way he did. I guess I'm just one of those loser hardcore Christians. :roll:

Aug 1, 2012
On topic. This is a game that could easily go either way. Both times the Broncos and Patriots met this season it went badly for the Broncos. That is not promising for them. This is, however, a different situation so I hold out hope the Broncos will win.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
"On topic. This is a game that could easily go either way. Both times the Broncos and Patriots met this season it went badly for the Broncos. That is not promising for them. This is, however, a different situation so I hold out hope the Broncos will win. "
The Broncos played the Patriots twice this season?

Aug 1, 2012
Oops, memory futzed on me. Only once, still sucked and I hope that it turns out differently this time. Thanks for catching that.

Status
Not open for further replies.